|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
PM takes stock of Mumbai blasts probe
July 12, 2007 20:36 IST
Taking stock of the investigations into last year's Mumbai serial bomb blasts, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [Images] said on Thursday that the government will not rest till the guilty are punished.
"All those against whom cases have already been registered and all those who are wanted in this case will be brought to justice," he said, a day after the first anniversity of the blasts that left 187 persons dead and 812 injured.
Hailing the courage and forbearance of the people of Mumbai and their determination to stand united in the fight against terrorism, Dr Singh said 'the government will not rest till the guilty are punished'.
Dr Singh reviewed all the steps taken so far for providing compensation to families of victims and those injured in the blasts.
This included assistance for hospitalisation, payment of medical bills and provision of employment for those who have sought such employment, PM's media adviser Sanjaya Baru said in a statement.
Of the 118 applicants for jobs, approval has been given for 96 so far, according to information provided by Maharashtra government and the Railway Ministry.
The Railway Ministry has been asked to ensure that the Railway Claims Tribunal expedite the disposal of claims for compensation.
The Mumbai Police has so far chargesheeted 25 persons in this case and the designated court has issued non-bailable warrants against 15 absconders and Red Corner notices have been issued against two persons.
This case is under trial.