Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > PTI

Situation under control in Bangalore

January 22, 2007 13:09 IST
Last Updated: January 22, 2007 15:15 IST

Related Articles
More news: Karnataka
Bangalore: Infosys, airport attacks foiled; terrorist nabbed

The violence-hit areas in Bangalore returned to normalcy on Monday, even as police conducted a flag-march in localities of Bangalore East to confidence among people.

"The situation is completely normal. Not a single incident has been reported from anywhere," a police official said on Monday.

Police personnel in good strength, including those drawn from the Rapid Action Force from Coimbatore, staged a march in the areas which saw violence on Sunday.

One person was killed and three others were injured in police firing after communal violence flared up in eastern parts of the city on Sunday.

Police have enforced a night curfew in those areas, while prohibitory orders are in force till Tuesday afternoon.

"Depending on the situation during the day, we will decide whether we should continue the night curfew," the official said.

Schools and colleges in affected areas have been ordered to be closed for a day on Monday.

Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy has directed the police to deal sternly with mischief-mongers and trouble-makers and appealed to the people to maintain peace.

Leaders and officials, including Dharam Singh, Shivajinagar BJP legislator Katta Subramanya Naidu and Police Commissioner Neelam Achyuta Rao visited the Bowring Hospital and enquired about the health of those admitted.

Speaking to the media, Dharam Singh alleged that the state government has failed to protect the lives and properties of the public and anarchy prevailed in the city.

25 people were arrested and more than 400 people taken into custody in connection with the violence.

A constable, who was allegedly stabbed during the violence on Sunday continued to be in a critical condition, while the body of the 12-year-old boy, the victim of the police firing, was yet to be identified, police officials said.

Director General and Inspector General of Police K R Srinivasan informed the media that as no fresh reports of violence were reported, the night curfew imposed in certain parts of the city was withdrawn.

As a precautionary measure prohibitory orders have been imposed and a strict vigil was maintained to thwart any more untoward incident in the city.

The trouble was sparked off on Friday evening when groups of people from Bharatinagar area, going to a meeting to protest execution of deposed Iraqi President Saddam Hussan in Shivajinagar stadium, indulged in group clashes. After a lull on Saturday, violence again erupted during the yatra taken out as part of a religious function on Sunday.

With UNI inputs

© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.