|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Blasts: Pak seeks separate burial for victims
February 23, 2007 21:28 IST
Last Updated: February 23, 2007 21:30 IST
Pakistan on Friday claimed its request for burial of the unidentified persons killed in the Samjhauta Express blasts in their home country had been declined by India, following which it has asked New Delhi for a separate burial after DNA tests.
The Indian government has informed that the bodies of unidentified victims of the terrorist attack on Samjhauta Express would be given a burial on the afternoon of February 24 as it is not possible to preserve them for a longer period, a statement by the Pakistan Foreign Office said.
"We requested the Indian government to shift the bodies to Pakistan for burial, which was declined on the plea that nationality of the victims had not been determined.
"We have now requested for proper separate burial with DNA identification to keep the possibility of bringing the remains of identified Pakistani nationals to their home country," it said.
The last batch of relatives who have been given Indian visas would be proceeding to Panipat on Friday night for possible identification of missing relatives among the victims, the statement said.