|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Kashmir sex racket case shifted to Chandigarh
September 04, 2006 17:24 IST
The Supreme Court on Monday shifted the trial of 14 persons accused in the Jammu and Kashmir sex scandal from Srinagar to Chandigarh.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Y K Sabbarwal directed that the trial and all other proceedings of the 14 accused be transferred from the court of principal sessions judge, Srinagar, to that of the district and session judge, Chandigarh.
"On examination of facts and circumstances, we are of the view that the investigations have been completed and charge sheets filed. It would be in the interest of justice to transfer these cases for trial and other proceedings," the bench said.
All the accused had alleged that they had been booked under surcharged atmosphere and the stand of Jammu and Kashmir Bar Association that no lawyer was willing to defend them and said it would be proper to shift trial of the case outside the state.
Those who had approached the apex court for shifting the case are Border Security Force DIG K C Padhi, former additional advocate general Anil Sethi, Deputy SP Mohammad Ashraf Mir, independent MLA and former minister Raman Mattoo, suspended principal secretary (planning) Iqbal Khandey and hotel owner Riyaz Kawa.
Sabeena, the alleged kingpin of the racket, her husband Abdul Hamid Shabir Langoo, Congress leader Ghulam Hassan Mir, Shabir Kala, Mehrajuddin Malik and Masood Ahmed and two others are also party to the petition seeking shifting of the case.