|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Guns silent on LoC for 32 months
June 21, 2006 15:04 IST
With the Indo-Pak truce having completed 32 months, there was no violation of the ceasefire along Indo-Pak border in Jammu and Kashmir, top army officials said in Pooch district on Wednesday.
"Indo-Pak ceasefire, which commenced on November 26, 2003, is going on without any violation from either side along Indo-Pak border in Jammu and Kashmir," the officials told PTI.
There is no violation of any ceasefire from Pakistan or Indian sides during the last 32 months, they said, adding that as a result, the Line of Control was peaceful.
"The people are very happy along the border who had earlier braved Pakistani firing and shelling before the ceasefire came into existence," they added.
"There is very cordial relations between Indian and Pakistani troops and flag meetings are being held regularly along the border line with our counterpart to sort out any issue, including the civilians crossing the border mistakenly on the two sides," they said.
As many as 107 persons were killed and over 3000 villagers were injured in shelling and firing before the ceasefire, they said, adding that the situation along the border was now normal as there had been no confrontation between the troops on two sides.