Home > News > The Ayodhya Issue > Report
Panel to list Babri Masjid demolishers
May 02, 2005 19:17 IST
The Liberhan Commission, inquiring into the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition, will reveal the names of those who demolished the disputed structure at Ayodhya, former Union Home Secretary Dr Madhav Godbole said on Monday.
"Let us wait for the report of the Liberhan Commission to know who was responsible for the demolition of Babri
Masjid, me as Union home secretary, the Centre, the state government or the politicians," Godbole said reacting to the
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar's statement on Saturday, in which he held the former bureaucrat's "passiveness" responsible for the demolition of the disputed structure.
'Ample proof to prosecute Advani' | Plea against Advani
Pawar in a recent interview to a local daily had held the Godbole Committee's recommendation as responsible for the
current power crisis in Maharashtra, triggering off a wordy duel between the two, though the retired bureaucrat said at a press conference on Monday that he would not react to any statements from Pawar.
"All my efforts to avoid such a national calamity failed due to decisions at the political level and in sheer disgust I took voluntary retirement from service in March, 1993. The full account of all the happenings during the critical period had been given in the two chapters of my memoirs 'Unfinished Innings: Recollections And Reflections of a Civil Servant', he said.