Home > News > PTI
Monises mourn their only son
June 01, 2004 02:45 IST
The Monis family in Belthangady is unable to come to terms with the fact that their "fair and handsome" son Lawrence was mistaken for a Westerner and killed by terrorists in Saudi Arabia.
Lawrence Monis, an assistant general manager with Al-Sagr Insurance Company in Saudi Arabia, was killed in a terrorist attack Saturday near the Al-Khobar residential complex in Saudi Arabia. He was shot while he was waiting at a traffic signal near the complex.
Besides the loss of a son, 79-year-old Anthony and 75-year-old Christine have also lost the financial support that Lawrence used to provide them.
"Nothing will be the same without Lawrence. What did he do to deserve this," asked Monis's unmarried sister Winnie between sobs. "It was extremely difficult breaking the news to my parents... Lawrence happens to be the only son," she said, adding that Monis was an "extremely affable and friendly person who doted on his parents and sisters".
Monis had been working in Saudi Arabia for the past 23 years. He died 12 days short of his birthday.
Elder sister Agnes, who lives in Bangalore, said she was "unable to accept his death".
She said Monis and his family were expected to come to India for a holiday mid-June. In fact, said Agnes, Monis had called the day before he died and said "he was planning to come back for good" by the end of the year. She choked on her words.
After receiving the first call, the unbelieving family made calls back to Saudi Arabia to see if there had been a mistake, that Monis was alive after all. But they just had their worst fears confirmed. There are now a few formalities remaining before her brother's body can flown back to India, Agnes said.
Monis is survived by his wife Wilma and children, 17-year-old Llewellyn and 15-year-old Samantha. And a grieving family back home that still can't quite believe he's dead.