Search:



The Web

Rediff








 Latest News on mobile: sms NEWS to 7333

Home > News > PTI


Stove burst may have caused fire

May 15, 2003 17:35 IST

The devastating fire Thursday morning on the Mumbai-Amritsar Frontier Mail may have been caused by a kerosene stove burst.

Member, Railway Safety Board, H C Gupta, said a preliminary examination of the burnt coaches has revealed pieces of a stove.

Thirty-eight people were killed when three coaches of the train caught fire near Ladhowal, 10 km from Ludhiana, at around 0600 IST.

Gupta told reporters that forensic experts examined the burnt coaches for two possibilities - electric short circuit and external reasons - and found pieces of a stove in S-4 coach, the worst affected of the three bogies.
 
Ruling out an electric short circuit, Gupta said all electrical devices on board the three coaches were found intact. "There is also no possibility of a sabotage," he added.

He said window bars near the burst stove were also damaged, possibly by the impact of the explosion. "May be somebody tried to make his early morning cup of tea," he told a questioner.

The train had stopped at Ludhiana at 0345 IST and no passenger had reported any electrical malfunctioning, Gupta said.


7333: The Latest News on Your Mobile!


© Copyright 2005 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 6




Sub: Remove all such stoves from all the trains, you idiots !!!

How come such stoves liable to get burst and cause so much havoc were allowed in the train in the first instance ? Railway is ...


Posted by p chandra





Sub: stove burst?

Is it a repeat of Godhra?Stove-burst is sheer non-sense.None travelling in reserved II Sleeper ever carries stoves. Numerous electric connections are in AC class.At 4 ...


Posted by akt





Sub: So pathetic.....----.....---....--- My Sympathy to Comman MAN

Well this seen is so unimaginable My regards to all hurt in this Accident May God Bless them. SORRY rgds JASMEET


Posted by Jsmeet





Sub: Frontier Mail

Its shear nonsense from the official. Its really pathetic to read such type of comments from officials, it seems they are trying to brush up ...


Posted by Shabs





Sub: more security

its shameful that people ignore basic safety regulations. by doing so not only do they endanger their lifes but their co-passengers too. its high time ...


Posted by siddharth




Disclaimer




Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Write us a letter
Discuss this article




Related Stories


Horrors of the burning train



People Who Read This Also Read


Bomb blasts rock Shell outlets

Fading El Nino to help monsoon

Monsoon to arrive on June 1







Copyright © 2005 rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.