Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > News > Report

ASI request for more time rejected

March 26, 2003 18:13 IST

A special bench of the Allahabad high court on Wednesday turned down a plea of the Archaeological Survey of India for more time to complete the excavations at the disputed site in Ayodhya.

The ASI, which had sought two-and-a-half months more, has been asked to establish whether a temple existed at the site where Babri Masjid stood before it was pulled down by Hindu zealots on December 6, 1992.

Millions of Hindus believe the site to be the birthplace of their most revered god, Ram.

The special bench comprising Justice Sudhir Narain, Justice Rafat Alam and Justice Bhanwar Singh held ASI's application for extension of time as premature.

"Since not even a month has passed since the start of the excavation work, it was too early to seek any extension of time," the bench said. It said the ASI could move a fresh application at the next sitting of the bench on April 7 .

The special bench also rejected an application moved by two Muslim residents of Ayodhya seeking a stay on the on-going excavation work.

Taking into consideration the application of the Sunni Central Waqf board for appointment of a court observer to ensure greater transparency in the excavation work, the bench said it proposed to make a request to the chiefjustice of the Allahabad high court to spare two district judges for the purpose.

The bench, however, turned down the plea for equal representation of Hindus and Muslims in the excavation work .

It accepted the Sunni Central Waqf Board's plea for recording of the daily progress of work in a register. ASI officials have been asked to take the signatures of representatives of rival parties at the close of each day's work and also enter whatever was found during the course of the digging.

ASIhas been given the freedom to decide on the number of trenches to be dug as also the depth to which excavations could go.

Reports from Ayodhya said digging had already gone as deep as about seven to eight feet in three of the ten trenches at the site.



More reports from Uttar Pradesh
Read about: Ayodhya Dispute | Madhumita Murder Case


Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 2




Sub: why bother?

There is noc such thing as honest people in Government. All are corrupt and dishonest. Why have hopes for any straight forward assessment from them.? ...


Posted by Aakash Chawhan





Sub: Ramjanmabhoomi&Babrimasjid

So much has already happened at the great site. It is better that the entire site is given to the Archaeological Survey of India so ...


Posted by phareesh




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright 2005 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.