Home > News > Report
Chopper crash: 22 bodies recovered
Syed Firdaus Ashraf in Mumbai |
August 13, 2003 09:52 IST
Last Updated: August 13, 2003 10:37 IST
Twenty-two bodies of those who perished when a helicopter crashed in the Arabian Sea were recovered early on Wednesday morning 0315 IST.
The helicopter was ferrying Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited personnel.
Two bodies are still missing. Of the 29 persons on board, only two survived. Three bodies had been recovered by Tuesday morning.
Meanwhile, ONGC spokesperson Narayani Mahil told rediff.com that work at ONGC facilities was normal.
ONGC employees, led by the Association of Scientific and Technical Officers, had on Tuesday threatened to go on a strike, but were restrained by the Bombay high court.
On Wednesday morning, ASTO working president L K Mirchandani said, "We are not on strike."
'But we are in non-cooperative mode and this will continue till our demands are met', he told rediff.com.
Their demands are:
1. A CBI enquiry into the crash and immediate suspension of ONGC Chairman and Managing Director Subir Raha
2. Compensation of Rs 25 lakh (Rs 2.5 million) for the family of the deceased in Monday's crash
3. Jobs for relatives of the deceased
4. Waiver of Income Tax on hard work/offshore duty compensation (the request is pending before the CBDT)
5. Immediate recruitment to fill vacant posts
6. Replacement of outdated choppers
The agitation began at off shore platforms in the Mumbai region early on Wednesday.
"We will bring down the production to 25 per cent, though not close it down completely," an agitating ONGC employee owing allegiance to the ASTO said in Mumbai.
However, unions have not objected to helicopters ferrying employees to off shore platforms.
With inputs from PTI
More reports from Maharashtra