Revealed: How well you really sleep!
We recently asked you to take this survey on sleeping habits and here are the results.
Sleep forms, or is supposed to form, the most important part of a person's daily life.
But how well do we really sleep?
Here are results from the survey, you, our readers took.
(Haven't taken the survey yet? No matter! Find out if you're sleeping as much as you should! Click here!)
1. For approximately how many hours do you sleep each night?
An eight-hour sleep is said to be ideal for one's health and well-being.
- Only 25 per cent respondents who took the survey slept for eight hours.
- 40 per cent slept for seven hours a day.
- A worrying 31 per cent slept for no more than six hours.
- And 4 per cent respondents said they couldn't sleep for more than four hours.
2. Approximately how long do you sleep on your day off?
Does the precious day off often mean long hours of sleep?
- 68 per cent respondents said they don't sleep for more than eight hours on their day off.
- 27 per cent said they sleep for 10 hours.
- 4 per cent slept for good 12 hours on their day off
- And 1 per cent of you, our dear readers, confessed to spending more than 12 hours in bed on the day they don't have to go to work :-)
3. At approximately what time do you go to bed?
Early to bed evidently doesn't work for us.
- Only 2 per cent of the respondents said they slept at 9 pm.
- 11 per cent sleep at 10 pm.
- And a whopping 43.5 per cent confessed to sleeping at 11 pm and as many admitted that they are often awake up to midnight!
4. What do you do an hour before you go to bed?
Experts believe that the hour before you go to bed is the most important because it determines how well you sleep and watching television is one of the least recommended activities during this time.
- Shockingly 67 per cent respondents said that they either watch television or are engaged with some electronic device in the final waking hour of their day.
- Only 8 per cent read books.
- 20 per cent spend time with their families.
- And 5 per cent catch up on the work they bring home, the survey revealed.
5. Do you have a television in your bedroom?
- Most interestingly while television viewing seems a popular pastime just before hitting the sack, 74 per cent respondents do not have television in their bedrooms; 26 per cent do.
6. How often do you have movie nights at home?
- Weekends are the time to unwind and catch up on movies with a whopping 82 per cent either going to the cinemas or having a movie night at home.
- 6 per cent had movie nights twice a week.
- 5 per cent, thrice a week.
- 7 per cent watched a movie every night.
7. How often do you take medications to go to sleep?
- The survey also revealed that 90 per cent of the respondents never took any sleep medications.
- 7 per cent popped the pill every once in a while
- 2 per cent relied on sleep medications most of the time
- And 1 per cent said they have to take sleeping pills all the time.
8. How often do you wake up in the middle of the night?
- 37 per cent respondents said they never woke up in the middle of the night
- 46 per cent confessed to waking up at least once
- 9 per cent said they woke up twice during the night
- 8 per cent said they found themselves awake more than twice.
9. After you wake up, how long before you reach out to your mobile phone/tablet pc/computer?
- If you reach out to your mobile phone or a tablet PC, you will relate to 37 per cent of this survey's respondents who said they did the same almost immediately after they woke up
- 31 per cent people didn't check their phones/tablet pc etc till they reached work
- 16 per cent didn't check for at least an hour after they woke up and as many people didn't reach out to their electronic gadgets for 30 minutes after they woke up.
10. How do you feel when you wake up?
- 61 per cent respondents confessed that they felt they could do with another 30 minutes of sleep.
- Only 26 per cent felt refreshed.
- While 11 per cent felt exhausted and 2 per cent found themselves in a particularly foul mood after they woke up.
How well do you sleep?
Here's your chance to find out!
Take this survey till the very end and you might just be surprised!
Image: Do you sleep like a baby too?
Photographs: China Photos/Getty Images