The Mumbai Cricket Association's Managing Committee on Monday took note of the apology rendered by Shah Rukh Khan for his behaviour at the Wankhede Stadium earlier this month but has not withdrawn the five-year ban imposed on the principal owner of new IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).
"A meeting of the committee was convened to discuss routine matters, but this matter of Shah Rukh Khan was raised by some members. It was decided to leave it to the president and office-bearers to get more details about what transpired yesterday," said MCA chief and Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
Asked when he intended to sit with his office-bearers to discuss the matter further, he said, "we want to resolve the issue at the earliest. There is no point in keeping it hanging."
Surrounded by his wife and kids, Shah Rukh said on Sunday after KKR's maiden title triumph in Chennai, "I want to apologise to the kids for my misbehaviour at MCA. I apologise to all who saw me differently. I shouldn't have behaved in that manner. But today my team has won, so I guess, all you fans should forgive me. We have won at last."
However, MCA sources indicated there was no change in the five-year ban imposed on the Bollywood star on May 18, two days after Shah Rukh's skirmish with the security and officials of the association after KKR's victory over Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
"As far as we are concerned nothing has changed and nothing has been communicated to us (from Shah Rukh's side). As and when something comes, we will see," a source said.
Another MCA source indicated that a formal communication from the KKR co-owner was awaited and its officials had learnt about the public apology he had voiced through newspapers.
"We don't know what had happened. Certainly we would need something on paper (in order to review the earlier decision)," the source said.]
Prior to the Managing Committee meeting, an MCA source maintained that Shah Rukh had not apologised directly to the association, but pointed out that at least the actor had conceded that he had not behaved properly.
"He has not apologised to the MCA, has he? Anyway he had at least admitted he has not behaved in a proper manner," the source said.
The "unanimous" decision to ban Shah Rukh was taken by the MCA two days after the fracas.
"We have handed a five-year ban on him and it was a unanimous decision. It applies to any match - whether domestic or international - at the Wankhede," Deshmukh had told a press conference after the decision was taken.
"If rules are violated, action will be taken. It's a message to everyone whosoever he or she may be that stern action will be taken if there is any misbehaviour."
"There were a lot of MCA officials present at the time of fracas. Nothing more was needed to prove that he (Khan) misbehaved. The Assistant Commissioner of Police himself was present and he said Khan was drunk," the MCA chief had said.
Asked if there was still a chance of the ban being reconsidered, Deshmukh had said, "There is no question of that. Khan did not make any representation to us, nor apologise."
Khan, however, had denied at a media conference that he had misbehaved and insisted he acted only after children, including his kids, were "manhandled" by the security staff.
In the wake of the ban on Khan, IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla had said a final decision will be taken by the BCCI.
"State bodies can only recommend but a final decision has to be taken by the BCCI. When the matter comes to BCCI, the Board will decide (on the ban)," he had said.