Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > Cricket > Report

Lord's Test ends in a draw

May 19, 2008 22:17 IST

New Zealand [Images] all-rounder Jacob Oram [Images] scored his first century against England [Images] on Monday to ensure a draw in the first Test on the final day at Lord's.


Oram struck two sixes and 15 fours in his 101 as New Zealand reached 269 for six when play was called off early for bad light.

Opener Jamie How scored 68 and Brendon McCullum, who was taken to hospital for an X-ray after he was struck on his left forearm, returned to tally 24.

The match always looked likely to end in a draw when 153.2 overs were lost to rain and bad light on the first three days but the Kiwis were briefly in trouble at 120 for four and McCullum in hospital before Oram took control.

At tea New Zealand were 199 for four in their second innings, a lead of 157, with 39 overs remaining. Oram was on 55, his fifth test half-century, and debutant Daniel Flynn had scored 19.

McCullum was taken to hospital after he was struck on the arm by Stuart Broad. The Kiwi wicketkeeper, who top-scored with 97 in the first innings, was on 11 at the time and New Zealand were in trouble at 120 for four, a lead of only 78.

An X-ray revealed no fracture and McCullum returned to the changing room where he was able to watch Oram and Flynn craft an unbeaten stand of 79.

Oram relieved the pressure after McCullum's departure by sweeping Monty Panesar [Images] for six to take the lead past the 100 mark and cover-drove Ryan Sidebottom for another boundary.

Flynn was lucky to get away with a four which flew through the slips off Sidebottom while Oram batted with increasing authority, square-cutting Anderson to bring up his half-century from 67 balls with a six and six fours.

Captain Michael Vaughan [Images] turned to Kevin Pietersen's [Images] occasional off-spin but it was Anderson who nearly made the breakthrough shortly before tea when a skied hook from Oram off Anderson fell safely between two fielders.

England made early inroads when play resumed with New Zealand on 40 for no wicket on a cloudy morning before a sprinkling of spectators.

Aaron Redmond, out without scoring in his debut innings, was caught by Andrew Strauss [Images] off Anderson for 17 and James Marshall fell lbw to Sidebottom for a duck 17 balls later.

Jamie How, 26 not out overnight, survived a straightforward chance to Strauss off Broad on 46 to reach his second test fifty from 98 balls with seven boundaries.

He was eventually caught at third slip by Alastair Cook [Images] trying to turn Broad to leg for 68. Ross Taylor was the other batsman to succumb, lbw Panesar for 20.