|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Tendulkar's milestones in ODIs
Rajneesh Gupta | April 23, 2008
Tendulkar's records and milestones in ODIs:
- The most matches played: 417 (Most by any player in the history of the sport).
- Between April 1990 and April 1998, Tendulkar played 185 consecutive matches -- a world record.
- Tendulkar has played on 94 different grounds. He is the first to appear in 400 innings in ODI matches.
- On his debut, Sachin Tendulkar [Images] was the second youngest debutant at 16 years, 238 days. Only Aaqib Javed made his debuted in ODI debut at a younger age (16y, 127d) than Sachin Tendulkar. Since then, there have been four players who were younger than Tendulkar on their ODI debut: Pakistan's Hasan Raza (14y, 233d) -- the current youngest debutant,Bangladesh's Mohammad Sharif (15y, 116d), Pakistan's Shahid Afridi [Images] (16y, 215d) and UAE's Ramveer Rai (16y, 229d).
- Tendulkar has scored the most runs -- 16,361 Runs at an average of 44.34.
- He is the leading run scorer in the ODI format of the game and the only player ever to cross the 13,000, 14,000, 15,000 and 16,000 run marks and the first to cross those landmarks.
- Tendulkar has the highest individual score among Indian batsmen (186 not out against New Zealand [Images] at Hyderabad in 1999-00). The score of 186 not out is listed the fifth highest score recorded in ODIs.
- Tendulkar holds the record for scoring 1,000 ODI runs in a calendar year. He has done it seven times -- 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007.
- Tendulkar has scored over 1000 ODI runs against all major cricketing nations.
- Tendulkar is the first and only batsman to score over 2500 runs against any opponent. Tendulkar is also the first and only batsman to achieve the feat runs against two opponents.
- Tendulkar is the fastest to reach 10,000 runs taking 259 innings and has the highest batting average among batsmen with over 10,000 ODI runs.
- Tendulkar has the most number of centuries -- 42.
- His eight centuries against Australia are the most by any player against a particular country.
- Tendulkar has the most number of half-centuries -- 89.
- He is the only player to have over 100 innings of 50+ runs.
- Most Man of the Match awards: 57
- Most Man of the Series awards: 14
- Most ODI runs in a calendar year: 1,894 ODI runs in 1998.
- Most Centuries in a calendar year: 9 ODI centuries in 1998
- Tendulkar with Sourav Ganguly [Images] hold the world record for the maximum number of runs scored by the opening partnership. They have put together 6,271 runs in 128 matches that includes 20 century partnerships and 21 fifty run partnerships. The 20 century partnerships for opening pair is also a world record.
- Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid [Images] hold the world record for the highest partnership in ODIs when they scored 331 runs against New Zealand in 1999-00 at the Hyderabad.
- Tendulkar has been involved in six 200 run partnerships in ODI matches -- a record that he shares with Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid.
- He has scored the most runs (1,796 at an average of 59.87) in World Cups including four centuries and 13 fifties with a best score of 152 not out against Namibia in the 2003 World Cup.
- Tendulkar scored 673 runs in the 2003 Cricket World Cup, highest by any player in a single World Cup.
- He was named the Player Of The Tournament in the 2003 World Cup.
- Tendulkar amassed 523 runs in the 1996 World Cup at an average of 87.16, making him the highest run scorer in the 1996 World Cup and setting the then record for the highest runs by any player in a single World Cup -- subsequently bettered by himself in the 2003 World Cup.
Tendulkar in Twenty-20 internationals:
- Tendulkar's only appearance in a Twenty20 international game was against South Africa at Johannesburg in 2006-07. Tendulkar made 10 off 12 balls in that game.India went on to win that game.
- He is the first batsman in history to score over 50 centuries in international cricket. He has now scored 81 centuries (39 in Tests, 42 in ODIs).
- Most overall runs in international cricket, (ODIs + Tests + Twenty20s), with more than 28,000 runs overall (11,782 in Tests, 16,361 in ODIs and 10 in Twenty20 internationals).
- Holds the record of getting out the maximum number of times on 90s in international matches. He has been dismissed 24 times (17 in ODIs and 7 in Tests) on scores of 90-99. The 17 nineties in ODIs are an ODI record too.
- Holds the record of aggregating most runs against a particular opponent in all forms of International Cricket (Tests, ODIs and Twenty20s). Tendulkar has aggregated 5,082 runs against Australia in all international cricket with 17 centuries and 23 fifties at an average of 50.31.