|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Tendulkar's milestones in Test cricket
Rajneesh Gupta | April 23, 2008
Records and milestones for Sachin Tendulkar [Images] in Test cricket:
- On his Test debut, Sachin Tendulkar was the third youngest debutant (16 years, 205 days). Mushtaq Mohammad (15y 124d) and Aaqib Javed (16y 189d) debuted in Test matches at a younger age than Tendulkar. Since then, there have been two players who were younger than Sachin on their Test debut: Hasan Raza for Pakistan (14y 227d), the current youngest debutant, and Mohammad Sharif for Bangladesh (15y 128d).
- Tendulkar has played the most number of Test Matches (147) for India (Kapil Dev [Images] is second with 131 Test appearances).
- Tendulkar is third in the list of players with most Test caps. Only Steve Waugh (168 Tests) and Allan Border [Images] (158 Tests) have appeared in more games than Tendulkar.
- Tendulkar is the highest run scoring Indian with 11,782 Test runs and the second highest in the world, after Brian Lara [Images].
- Tendulkar's career Average 55.31 is the highest average among those who have scored over 10,000 Test runs.
- He is the first Indian to surpass the 11,000 Test run mark and the third batsman after Allan Border and Brian Lara. Lara took 213 innings, Sachin 223 and Border 259. He is the second Indian after Sunil Gavaskar [Images] to make over 10,000 runs in Test matches.
- Tendulkar and Brian Lara are the fastest to score 10,000 runs in Test cricket history. Both of them achieved this in 195 innings.
- On January 3, 2007, Sachin Tendulkar (5751) edged past Brian Lara's (5736) world record of runs scored in Tests away from home. Tendulkar achieved this in 75 away Test matches while Lara had scored his runs in 66 away Tests.
- Tendulkar has the highest number of Test centuries (39), overtaking Sunil Gavaskar's record (34) on 10 December 2005 vs Sri Lanka [Images] in Delhi. Brian Lara and Ricky Ponting [Images] have also scored 34 Test Centuries.
- When Tendulkar scored his maiden century in 1990, he was the second youngest to score a century. Only Mushtaq Mohammad had scored a century at a younger age by 1990. Tendulkar's record was bettered by Mohammad Ashraful [Images] in the 2001-02 season. The record for previous youngest Indian centurion was held by Kapil Dev.
- Tendulkar's record of five centuries before he turned 20 is a current world record.
- Tendulkar holds the current record (217 against NZ in 1999-00) for the highest score in Test cricket by an Indian when captaining the side. Gavaskar held the previous record (205 against West Indies [Images] in Bombay in 1978-79).
- Tendulkar has scored centuries against all Test playing nations. He is the third batman to achieve the distinction after Steve Waugh and Gary Kirsten. The current list also includes Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid [Images], Jacques Kallis [Images], Adam Gilchrist [Images] and Marvan Attapattu.