Mukesh Ambani said, by March 2017, it will cover 90 per cent of India's population
Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries, announced on Thursday, that Jio will be launched on September 5, offering customers free domestic voice calls and zero roaming charges.
"Jio will out an end to voice call charges in India. No Jio customer will ever have to pay for voice calls again," Ambani said at the 42nd AGM.
Data tariff plans will begin from Rs 149 for 0.3 GB to Rs 4,999 for 75 GB. All data plans, except for the 0.3 GB plan, will also provide unlimited 4G data at night.
Jio's commercial launch is likely to be on December 31, 2016.
Mukesh's 5 key announcements:
- All domestic voice calls for Jio customers will be absolutely free. Roaming charges will also be zero across India.
- India is 155th in the world for mobile broadband access, Jio will take the country to the top 10.
- Using Adhaar-based e-KYC, starting today from Mumbai and Delhi, customers will be able to walk out with an operational connection within 15 minutes.
- Jio's network the most expansive and future-proof network in the country. By March 2017, it will cover 90 per cent of India's population
- Special offers for students with 25 per cent more data.
Infographix: Courtesy, ANI