Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raised the issue of India getting access to 26/11 plotter David Headley with President Barack Obama, who said the US was fully supportive of the request and working through legal processes for giving it.
India will seek direct access to Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley under a bilateral agreement signed in 2005 and a communication is being sent to the US to allow its investigators to question him. The draft letter was being examined by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram after it was prepared by Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam and officials of National Investigation Agency, official sources said in New Delhi.
Indian investigators will soon get access to terror suspect David Headley as United States authorities are working out the logistics of where and when they can question the Pakistani-American in connection with the Mumbai terror attacks, an official of the Federal Bureau of Investigation said on Tuesday. "In the plea agreement, Headley did agree to meet with Indian authorities. I think right now we are just trying to work out the logistics and scheduling of that," said FBI.
Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley's plea bargain, under which he confessed to plotting the Mumbai terror attacks, throws light on close links between the Al Qaeda and the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, according to former Central Intelligence Agency expert Bruce Riedel.Headley's story showed in clear contours the close relationship between Al Qaeda and the Pakistani militant group LeT, Riedel, who led the review of the Obama administration's Af-Pak strategy,said.
As extradition of terror accused David Headley from the United States is likely to be a difficult process, India will press for immediate direct access to him for its investigators.Top government sources said as extradition of the 49-year old Pakistani-American, who has admitted to plotting the audacious Mumbai terror attack, appeared to become a difficult process, the immediate priority of the Indian investigators was direct access to him to know details about terror plots.
A new report by the Bipartisan Policy Centre's National Security Preparedness Group says the US does not have a real strategy to counter the homegrown threat.
The United States on Saturday said it will allow Indian investigators to interrogate David Headley, who has pleaded guilty to his involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks, but made it clear that he cannot be extradited to India.
Pakistan American terrorist David Headley, who has pleaded guilty to charges of plotting the Mumbai terror attacks, has claimed that co-accused Tahawwur Hussain Rana too was involved in the conspiracy.
Dismissing concerns about the plea agreement between the United States government and Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley, Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said the deal was not a 'setback' for India's probe into the terror attack on Mumbai. Headley, who was arrested in October last year in Chicago by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has pleaded guilty to charges of planning and helping carry out the attack on Mumbai.
Concerned over reports that Mumbai terror suspect David Headley may enter into a plea bargain with prosecutors in Chicago, Indian security establishment feels that it would lend credence to suspicions that he may have been working for the Americans.
David Headley, who played a big role in the Mumbai 26/11 terror attacks, will plead guilty before a Chicago court in the United States on Thursday.
The arrest of Colleen R Larose alias Jihad Jane, the American woman accused of providing material support to terrorists and recruiting men and women on the Internet to wage 'violent Jihad' in south Asia and Europe, was a rude wake up call for the United States administration.The involvement of Jihad Jane and Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley in fomenting terror has rudely reminded US intelligence agencies that the Al Qaeda had succeeded in inducting American nationals.
The political slugfest on Ishrat Jahan alleged fake encounter case on Friday saw the Bharatiya Janata Party supporting Congress leader Digvijaya Singh's demand that the home ministry come clean on the issue of her alleged terror links as agencies such as the Intelligence Bureau, the Central Bureau of investigation and the National Investigation Agency have differences over it.
The NIA says it will need go back to when Sajid Mir had come down as a cricket fan to find out more about his Indian sojourn. This part of the probe will be very crucial since it will help establish the Mir angle behind 26/11 with more certainty
Revelations by Pakistani-American David Headley, a Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative charged with conspiring in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, may have prompted Islamabad to finally go after the Afghan-Taliban, a noted United States scholar on South Asia has said.
India and Pakistan are talking once again today at the official level. The preparation on the Indian side leaves no doubt that the focus will be on terrorism. The foreign ministry is consulting with the home ministry, defence ministry and security agencies. Pakistan will be placed in the dock. We can reasonably expect Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao to press for the complete unravelling of the 26/11 conspiracy.
Ejaz Naqvi, counsel for Sabahuddin, told rediff.com that he would be filing a petition before the Supreme Court to make Headley a party to the proceedings before the Bombay high court, which is hearing a set of three appeals in connection with the 26/11 case.
Security agencies today did not rule out the possibility of execution of plans by Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashker-e-Tayiba of the places recced by David Headley, an American terror suspect, arrested in the United States last October.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday said the Indian government was pursuing its case for having an access to American terror suspect David Headley, who is being tried in the United States.
American terror suspect David Headley had visited the Osho Ashram located near the German Bakery in Koregaon Park -- where eight people were killed in a terror attack on Saturday -- twice in 2008 and 2009.The area also houses a Jewish prayer house. According to the probe by the National Investigation Agency, Headley had moved to Pune from Goa to conduct a reconnaissance of the area around Koregaon Park.
The trial of Tahawwur Hussain Rana, co-accused along with Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist David Headley in 2008 Mumbai attacks, has been postponed from February 14 to May 16 at the request of defence.
As Pakistan took exception to Home Secretary G K Pillai's recent remarks on Inter Services Intelligence's role in Mumbai attacks, India on Friday said that there is no acrimony between the two sides on the issue.
Two men entered the area around Bhaba Atomic Research Centre and fed inputs on road topography into their wireless communication service GPRS arousing suspicions of people against the backdrop of US terror suspect David Headley having reportedly conducted a recce there.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has politely turned down India's request for extradition of terror suspect David Headley to India on the ground he will have to first undergo a sentence which could be imposed on him in the US for the offences committed if convicted.
Interview with C D Sahay, former chief of the Research and Analysis Wing, on Headley and terror.
"Headley created messages, saving them in the drafts folder of a Web-mail service rather than sending the message. he person creating such a message then provides a colleague with the user name and password for the account, which enables the second person to log on and read the communication in the draft folder without an e-mail having been sent. This procedure is referred to as an electronic dead drop.
Headley's trial thus promises to be fascinating and important. If it is established that Headley was working for Headley all along, it will establish the Mumbai terror attacks as being a joint Lashkay-Al Qaeda operation, says Riedel. This, if true, is bad news for American counter-terrorism ops given the Lashkar's global network of supporters the Pakistani diaspora
Two days after US terror suspect David Headley was charged with conspiracy in the Mumbai terror attacks, his acquaintance and filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt's son Rahul on Wednesday asserted that he was innocent and assured full cooperation with the police in 26/11 investigations.
The Goa police on Tuesday said it cannot rule out the possibility of American terror suspect and Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley visiting the state earlier this year but has no conclusive evidence to prove it.The national media on Tuesday, quoting officials of the Union Home Ministry, said that Headley had surveyed two prime locations in Goa -- Arambl and Anjuna beaches.
The United States on Tuesday said that it was working closely with India on the Headley-Rana case to detect and prevent future terror attacks. Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives David Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana were arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation from Chicago in October for plotting terror attacks in India and Denmark.
A joint team of the US department of justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation briefed Indian investigators on American terror suspect David Headley's alleged role in last year's Mumbai terror strike on Monday.
The 7/11 train bombings case has taken another twist with one of its accused quoting David Headley and seeking a fresh probe by the National Investigation Agency. Ehtesham Qutubuddin Siddiqui, one of the accused in the case says that there is a new dimension to the case ever since Headley revealed that this attack was planned in Karachi and had Pakistani links.
With an FBI team in New Delhi, the Centre on Monday said the US has "promised" total support in probing involvement of terror suspects David Headley and Tahawwur Rana in "various crimes" in India and the agencies here are awaiting the first investigation report by the American investigators.
The questioning of American Lashker-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley is going to revolve around the places he had visited after the Mumbai terror attacks and the people he had remained in touch with during his stay in India. A three-member team of National Investigation Agency, which along with a public prosecutor is expected to leave for the United States on Monday.
India is likely to press for a clarification from the US on why there was no mention in David Headley's passport that he had changed his name in a detailed questionnaire to be sent to that country after Washington handed over a one-page report on the issue.
Souces point out that Abdul Al-Hooti could have done more than just providing SIM cards which were used during the Mumbai attack. With evidence against Al-Hooti in the Mumbai attack increasing, the Indian agencies say that apart from interrogating Headley on these lines, they would also be building a case to seek Al-Hooti's extradition from Oman.
American terror suspect David Headley arrested by the FBI for allegedly plotting terror attacks in India used to visit a golf course in Mumbai frequented by western diplomats and businessmen and is believed to have struck a rapport with them.
Investigators probing US terror suspect David Headley's visit to India have found that certain periods of his stay in the country remained unaccounted for raising fear that certain undesirable local elements might have helped him during his tour.
The SC on Friday refused to entertain a PIL seeking quashing of criminal prosecution, suspension and other action taken against the Gujarat cops in the alleged fake encounter killing of Ishrat Jahan
American terror suspect David Headley had also stayed at Oberoi Trident besides the Taj -- the two hotels attacked on 26/11 -- before the Mumbai carnage, reinforcing suspicion of his link with the audacious strike, according to investigators on Friday.