News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  gplay  » Sports » PIX: Manchester City, Liverpool held; Chelsea beat West Ham

PIX: Manchester City, Liverpool held; Chelsea beat West Ham

Last updated on: September 04, 2022 04:31 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

IMAGES from the English Premier League matches played on Saturday.

Erling Braut Haaland puts Manchester City ahead with his 10th goal in six games in the Premier League match against Aston Villa, at Villa Park, Birmingham, on Saturday.

IMAGE: Erling Braut Haaland puts Manchester City ahead with his 10th goal in six games in the Premier League match against Aston Villa, at Villa Park, Birmingham, on Saturday. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Reuters

Champions Manchester City were held to a 1-1 draw at Aston Villa in the Premier League on Saturday after Erling Haaland grabbed his 10th goal in six games.

Jamaican Leon Bailey fired in a fine equaliser for Villa in the 74th minute after excellent work from Jacob Ramsey who provided a crisp, low cross which the winger curled into the top corner with a first-time left-foot finish.


Haaland had put Pep Guardiola's side in front, five minutes into the second half, after connecting with an excellent deep cross from the right flank by Kevin De Bruyne.

The Norwegian, who had struck hat-tricks in the last two games, pulled away behind the back post and leapt to steer the ball home with a precise volley.

De Bruyne then hit the bar with a dipping free kick but Villa defended well against a wave of City attacks before Bailey struck.

Gerrard, who has admitted to feeling under pressure due to Villa's poor start to the season, threw on Philippe Coutinho and the Brazilian had the ball in the net only to see the flag raised for offside.

Leon Bailey celebrates scoring the equaliser for Aston Villa.

IMAGE: Leon Bailey celebrates scoring the equaliser for Aston Villa. Photograph: Peter Nicholls

No VAR review was possible for that effort, but replays suggested Coutinho may have been in an onside position and Gerrard said it had been a "legitimate goal".

The result leaves City in second place on 14 points, one behind leaders Arsenal who face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Villa are in 17th and have four points from their opening six games but Gerrard suggested he had been rewarded for a more pragmatic approach.

"Sometimes you've got to put more legs in the team, sacrifice certain technical levels, you have to take some space away and people in the team who can gain the ball and move forward with speed," said the former Liverpool midfielder.

"Very proud - the players have come together today. They put an incredible amount of effort into the game, followed instructions. City are always going to have moments and we had to ride our luck, this is what we wanted out of the game and this is the game plan we gave them," he added.

Guardiola said City had paid the price for not being sharp enough close to goal.

"Good game. We conceded just one goal from one shot on target in 90 minutes. We were not precise in our final third touches and our simple things, especially in the first half. We had chances to score a second when the game was in our hands but we didn't," said the Spaniard.

Everton denied winner by VAR in draw with Liverpool

Liverpool's Darwin Nunez heads at goal during their derby encounter against Everton at Goodison Park in Liverpool

IMAGE: Liverpool's Darwin Nunez heads at goal during their derby encounter against Everton at Goodison Park in Liverpool. Photograph: Jason Cairnduf/Reuters

Everton were denied a second-half winner following a lengthy VAR review in a feisty 0-0 draw with Merseyside rivals Liverpool in the Premier League on Saturday.

Both sides hit the woodwork in the first half at Goodison Park, with Tom Davies denied by the upright for Everton, before Darwin Nunez and Luiz Diaz both saw efforts come out off the frame of the goal for the visitors.

The game opened up after the break, with Jordan Pickford forced into several fine stops in the home goal, while Neal Maupay, making his Everton debut after signing from Brighton & Hove Albion in midweek, should have scored from close range.

Then came the moment Everton fans had been waiting for after Conor Coady tapped home at the far post but with pandemonium ensuing at Goodison, the goal was ruled out for offside after a lengthy VAR review.

Both sides pressed for a winner, with Everton substitute Dwight McNeil's deflected shot almost catching Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson out and Mohamed Salah firing against the post in stoppage time, but the rivals had to settle for a point each.

The stalemate means Liverpool remain in fifth, six points behind leaders Arsenal ahead of their trip to Manchester United on Sunday, while Everton stay 14th, winless from their six matches so far.

Coming into the match after earning back-to-back home victories, Liverpool headed to a ground where they had not tasted defeat in the Premier League in 12 years on Saturday confident of further derby glory.

Liverpool's Darwin Nunez and Everton's Conor Coady battle for possession 

IMAGE: Liverpool's Darwin Nunez and Everton's Conor Coady battle for possession. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

But even with big-money close season signing Nunez back up front, Liverpool struggled to get going at Goodison.

When they did create an opening, Liverpool found England goalkeeper Pickford in inspired form, with his save to tip Nunez's effort onto the crossbar the pick of his first half stops.

Liverpool boss Juergen Klopp threw on a fourth attacker in Roberto Firmino for the second half, with Pickford forced into three saves in quick succession to deny the Brazilian.

The game opened up from there on in. Maupay should have broken the deadlock from close range, firing too close to Alisson, before the striker played a big part in what he thought was the opening goal in the 69th minute.

Coady thought he had timed his arrival at the back post to perfection for his first Everton goal, only to be judged offside in a tight call, much to the away fans' delight.

Just as they did in their dramatic midweek win over Newcastle United, Liverpool thought they had snatched it at the death, but Salah's first-time effort cannoned out off the upright once more, with the brilliant Pickford getting the faintest of touches to it.

The stalemate means Everton clashes with Liverpool has seen more goalless draws than any fixture in both English top-flight history (36) and Premier League history (12).

Chelsea rally to beat West Ham

Chelsea's Kai Havertz scores their second goal against West Ham United

IMAGE: Kai Havertz scores Chelsea's second goal against West Ham United during their match at Stamford Bridge in London. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images via Reuters

Chelsea beat West Ham United 2-1 at Stamford Bridge on Saturday as goals from substitutes Ben Chilwell and Kai Havertz cancelled out Michail Antonio's opener, but they also had VAR to thank after an apparent West Ham equaliser was ruled out.

The Blues, looking to improve on their stuttering start to the season, were rocked in the 63rd minute when they failed to clear a corner and Declan Rice squared the ball for Antonio to convert on the goal line.

Thirteen minutes later the hosts were level when Chilwell squeezed between two defenders to get his head on a long forward pass by Thiago Silva and deftly angled the ball between the legs of West Ham goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.

Havertz completed the comeback in the 88th minute when he connected with a cross by Chilwell to make it 2-1, moments after West Ham substitute Maxwel Cornet had headed against the post when he should have scored.

In the dying moments, Cornet thought he had levelled it for West Ham but his goal was ruled out after a VAR check found that Jarrod Bowen had fouled Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy, a decision West Ham disputed.

"It is a scandalous decision, absolutely rotten from one of the supposedly elite referees," coach David Moyes told the BBC.

"I support a lot of the VAR stuff, I actually think the goalkeeper dives, he is faking an injury because he cannot get to the next one - he did the same on the first goal as well. The referee somehow gets that so wrong it is incredible."

Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel conceded his side got lucky with the disallowed goal but said it was a correct decision.

He also said he hoped the win would kick-start Chelsea's season.

"We take it now step by step, we will try to use this momentum," Tuchel was quoted as saying by the BBC. "Things are clear now, we can demand full commitment to everything. We are in the middle of creating this and it is not finished."

Tuchel made five changes after Tuesday's 2-1 loss to Southampton, giving Wesley Fofana a debut in central defence, recalling Conor Gallagher after his red card a week ago against Leicester City and offering a rare start to Christian Pulisic.

But Chelsea struggled to break down West Ham's deep defensive lines in the first half, underscoring why they rushed to sign striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Barcelona shortly before the transfer deadline on Thursday.

Spectacular Toney hat-trick sinks Leeds United at Brentford

Ivan Toney celebrates scoring Brentford's third goal and completing his hat-trick against Leeds United at Brentford Community Stadium, London.

IMAGE: Ivan Toney celebrates scoring Brentford's third goal and completing his hat-trick against Leeds United at Brentford Community Stadium, London. Photograph: Andrew Couldridge/Reuters

Ivan Toney struck a sensational hat-trick to earn Brentford a thrilling 5-2 home win over Leeds United.

Toney sent Illan Meslier the wrong way from the penalty spot to open the scoring in the 30th minute after being fouled by Luis Sinisterra and doubled Brentford's lead with a sublime freekick from just outside the box in the 43rd.

He completed his sixth career hat-trick in stunning style in the 58th minute, rounding Meslier and floating the ball over two defenders and into an empty net from distance after the Leeds keeper was forced to charge out to clear his lines.

"I've set myself a target of 30 goals this season," said Toney, who now has five goals in six appearances this season. "Let's see where I end up. It's achievable. Why not?"

Sinisterra pulled a goal back for Leeds just before halftime with a fine bit of skill, but Leeds then lost their manager Jesse Marsch to a red card for arguing with the officials shortly after Toney's third goal.

Ivan Toney scores Brentford's first goal from the penalty spot.

IMAGE: Ivan Toney scores Brentford's first goal from the penalty spot. Photograph: Hannah Mckay/Reuters

"The main thing is we gave away too many easy goals, some mistakes that led them into chances and set pieces," Marsch said. "We have to learn from making these mistakes when we're away from home, and we have to get better."

Marsch introduced Patrick Bamford at halftime and the striker came close to making an instant impact, beating Ben Mee for pace down the left and forcing David Raya into making a sharp save soon after the restart.

"It's not where we wanted to be," Bamford said. "We can't do what we did, which was get back in the game and then throw it away within seconds. It's naive... we've got to learn quickly because you can't get away with that."

Marc Roca scored a second for the visitors in the 79th, but it was Brentford who had the last word when Bryan Mbeumo slotted home a minute later to restore the two-goal cushion before Yoane Wissa added the home side's fifth in injury time.

The win moved Brentford up four places to seventh in the table, while Leeds dropped to ninth.

Kane on target as Tottenham beat Fulham to maintain pace

Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane scores their second goal against Fulham at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London.

IMAGE: Harry Kane scores Tottenham Hotspur's second goal against Fulham at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters

Harry Kane notched his fifth goal of the campaign as Tottenham Hotspur maintained their impressive start to the Premier League season with a 2-1 victory over Fulham that did little justice to their best attacking display so far on Saturday.

Goals in each half by Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Kane earned Tottenham a fourth win in six games but they should have been out of sight of their London rivals by the time in-form Aleksandar Mitrovic's effort set up a nervy finale.

Son Heung-min suffered more ill-fortune in his bid to get off the mark this season with the South Korean denied by the woodwork while Richarlison was denied his first Tottenham goal despite a sensational display by the number nine.

Unbeaten Tottenham's fourth win in six games lifted them to 14 points, one behind leaders Arsenal who play on Sunday.

Fulham remain in mid-table with eight points.

For the first time Tottenham manager Antonio Conte unleashed Richarlison from the start to form an attacking trident with Kane and Son and it proved an exciting formula.

With Tottenham's wing backs Ryan Sessegnon and Emerson Royal raiding forward at every opportunity, Fulham were at full stretch to keep out wave after wave of Spurs attacks.

Son had an effort deflected over the bar after Richarlison's cut back and then stabbed a shot against the crossbar after being picked out by Kane's clever chipped pass.

In the end it took a cool finish from defensive midfielder Hojbjerg to break the deadlock after 40 minutes.

Again Richarlison was heavily involved, exchanging passes with the Dane who slid a shot out of Bernd Leno's reach.

The pattern continued after the break with Richarlison driving a ball across goal for Eric Dier to blaze over.

Sessegnon's low shot was then heading on target before Leno clawed it around the post.

Eventually Kane touched in Sessegnon's pass in the 75th minute to double Tottenham's lead before Son's dinked pass saw Richarlison thump a volley against the post.

Mitrovic had already given Tottenham a warning when his deflected shot was acrobatically saved by Hugo Lloris and he maintained his purple patch with a superb goal.

Receiving the ball on the left side of the penalty area he cut back on to his right foot and curled an unstoppable effort to take his season's tally to six in six.

Richarlison thought he had his first goal when he swept in a low cross from close range but his joy turned to despair as a VAR check ruled it out for offside.

Lloris then had to produce a stunning save to stop Mitrovic's deflected shot looping into the corner.

Newcastle held to draw at home by Palace

Newcastle United's Alexander Isak in action with Crystal Palace's Cheick Doucoure during their match at  St James' Park, Newcastle

IMAGE: Newcastle United's Alexander Isak in action with Crystal Palace's Cheick Doucoure during their match at St James' Park, Newcastle. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images via Reuters

Newcastle United had a second-half goal ruled out after a VAR review as they drew 0-0 with Crystal Palace on Saturday in a Premier League game that was full of chances, but somehow yielded no goals.

After netting against Liverpool in midweek following his arrival from Real Sociedad for a reported fee of 59 million pounds ($68 million), record signing Alexander Isak went close to scoring in the first half, robbing Joachim Andersen to create a one-on-one but failing to get his chip over Palace keeper Vicente Guaita.

Newcastle's Miguel Almiron went even closer, firing through a thicket of bodies and hitting the base of the post to send his side into the break somehow still level, despite a slew of chances.

The home side thought they had taken the lead six minutes into the second half thanks to an own goal from Tyrick Mitchell, but the goal was ruled out after a VAR review found that Joe Willock had fouled Guaita.

Palace created plenty of opportunities of their own but many of them were fired straight at Newcastle keeper Nick Pope, who had little trouble dealing with most of them.

He did, however, have to pull off a tremendous reflex save in the 73rd minute to maintain his clean sheet.

Despite the two sides racking up 38 shots between them, the game finished scoreless to leave Newcastle in 11th position in the table on seven points, with Palace 15th on six points.

Midfielder Willock, who spurned two glorious chances to break the deadlock in the second half, was disappointed that his side could not manage to get more than a point.

"We had loads of chances and we have to put them away. We have to be clinical when you have a team by the scruff of the neck," the 23-year-old said.

Super sub Anthony scores as Bournemouth fight back to beat Forest

Jaidon Anthony came off the bench to inspire Bournemouth to a 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest as they bounced back from two goals down in a thrilling clash of the promoted sides in the Premier League on Saturday.

Cheikhou Kouyate and Brennan Johnson gave Forest a 2-0 lead by half time but Bournemouth produced a terrific performance in the second half, rallying through goals from Philip Billing, Dominic Solanke and Anthony.

Anthony scored the winning goal in the 87th minute as he coolly side-footed a finish past Forest goalkeeper Dean Henderson following a pass from Solanke.

The victory came as a relief to Bournemouth, who played out a goalless draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the last game and were thrashed 9-0 by Liverpool last week, which led to the sacking of Scott Parker.

"Going in at 2-0 was a real blow for us. The boys still believed, made a few changes and dug in. Proud of what we achieved," Bournemouth interim manager Gary O'Neil told the BBC.

"It has been a whirlwind the last four, five days and the staff still here have been so good for me."

Earlier, Senegal midfielder Kouyate put Forest in the lead in the 33rd minute after he rose highest in the box to power home a header from Morgan Gibbs-White's corner kick.

Forest made it 2-0 before the break when forward Johnson scored an ice-cool penalty, following a lengthy VAR review after a handball incident by Bournemouth skipper Lloyd Kelly.

While Forest had a shaky start in the second half, Bournemouth look determined and responded quickly with central midfielder Billing finding the target in the 51st minute with a stunning strike from around 30 yards out.

Forest could have added a third goal when the ball was played out to midfielder Jesse Lingard on the right, but the former Manchester United player put too much pace on the cross, which whistled past the far post.

The miss proved to be costly as striker Solanke scored his 50th goal for Bournemouth to make it 2-2 in the 63rd minute, pulling off a superb acrobatic effort which flew into the net via a slight deflection off Scott McKenna.

Anthony then completed the comeback for Bournemouth, scoring within minutes of coming off the bench, as the team jumped three spots to 13th in the table with seven points from six matches.

Free-spending Forest, who suffered their third straight league defeat, dropped into the relegation zone in 18th spot on four points.

"We were good for the 2-0 lead in the first half... We were comfortable but it was a really poor first goal to concede and it set the tone," said Forest manager Steve Cooper. "We looked like two different teams.

"The performance in the second half cost us the game... For large parts of the second half it was not good enough but we have to take it on the chin."

Podence gives Wolves first win with victory over Southampton

A Daniel Podence goal on the stroke of half-time gave Wolverhampton Wanderers a 1-0 win over Southampton on Saturday, their first victory of the season.

Matheus Nunes broke down the right and picked Podence out with a low ball to the back post although Saints keeper Gavin Bazunu should have done better to keep out the low drive.

After the break Che Adams had the ball in the net for Southampton but it was ruled out for handball on what was a frustrating day for the forward.

It should have been a simple chance but Adams headed against his arm and he was off-target again when he headed a Stuart Armstrong cross against the bar as Wolves held on for a win that moves them up to 14th on six points.

Wolves boss Bruno Lage said he was still trying to integrate the club's new players into the side but was relieved to collect the first victory.

Southampton fall to 12th place with seven points from their opening six games and manager Ralph Hasenhuettl was frustrated at their failure to convert opportunities.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
© Copyright 2024 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

England's Tour Of India 2024

England's Tour Of India 2024