Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > News > Report

Gujjars refuse to talk to Rajasthan government

May 25, 2008 13:30 IST

Related Articles
Rajasthan government invites Gujjar leader for talks
Rajasthan: Gujjar protestors clash with police, 15 killed

Gujjar leaders spearheading an agitation to press the demand of Scheduled Tribe status for the community on Sunday, turned down Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje's invitation for a dialogue sent to Gujjar leader Colonel (retired) Kirodi Singh Bainsla.


Colonel Bainsla, who is leading a dharna at the railway tracks in Pillupura in Bayana region with the bodies of 12 police firing victims, had showed no inclination to talk to the state government.


Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria said the state government had received no word from the Gujjar leader.


The state government had on Saturday night, invited the Gujjar reservation action committee convener to hold talks to resolve amicably the Gujjar reservation issue.


The Gujjar leader was invited to chief minister's office in Jaipur, on Sunday at 11 am to hold talks with the chief minister. The home minister had earlier also spoken to Bainsla over telephone, on the eve of the launch of the 'Rail Roko' to persuade him to withdraw the agitation.


The situation in Pillupura and Karvaria near Bayana and Sikandara in Dausa district where violence and police firing during past two days have claimed at least 36 lives, continued to be tense.


Gujjars were sitting on dharna at both the places. Bandhs were organised by agitating Gujjars in about a dozen towns on Sunday in protests against the police firing.

As protestors vowed to continue their stir, the army was deployed in four districts affected by agitation-- Bharatpur, Dausa, Karauli and Sawaimadhopur--conducted flag marches and maintained a strict vigil.
The situation was peaceful as no fresh incidents have been reported from any place, police said.