Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333

Home > India > News > Report

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Talwar freed on bail after CBI clean chit

Onkar Singh in New Delhi | July 11, 2008 15:02 IST
Last Updated: July 11, 2008 23:07 IST

Dr Rajesh Talwar, arrested in connection with the Noida double murder case involving his daughter Aarushi, was on Friday granted bail by a designated CBI court here.

Designated judge Sapna Mishra granted bail to Talwar asking him to furnish a personal bond of Rs 5 lakh and two sureties of like amount.

The bail was granted by the judge after the CBI informed the court that the agency had not found any evidence linking him to the murders.

The Noida Police, which arrested him on May 23, had also not found any evidence against Talwar. Earlier, the CBI said Talwar was innocent.

There is no evidence against Rajesh Talwar in the Aarushi case, the CBI said on Friday. Moments after the CBI gave a free chit to the doctor, Talwar was freed on bail.

"We had conveyed this to Ghaziabad court and asked it to pass appropriate orders on his bail application," CBI said earlier.

Aarushi, daughter of Noida dentists Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, and their domestic help Hemraj were murdered at her home on May 16.

Rajkumar confirms revenge was motive

'We have arrested Vijay Mandal, another servant, on Friday morning, taking the total number of arrests to four. Dr Talwar was first to be picked up on grounds of suspicion by the Noida police," CBI joint director Arun Kumar, who heads the investigation team, said.

Dr Talwar's first polygraph test remained inconclusive while the second one did not show any evidence of his role in the murder. The same applied to his wife Dr Napur Talwar, Kumar said.

"No deception was found in her second polygraph test. They were also subjected to psycho-analysis test and nothing was found against them," Kumar said.

Throwing light into the case, Kumar said, Krishna tried to mislead the police by floating new theories.

"Krishna, Raj Kumar and Vijay Mandal were talking about Aarushi over the drink. Under the influence of alcohol they went to the room of Aarushi. She got up and tried to scream. She was gagged and hit by hard blunt object on her head," he said, adding "they also tried to abuse her".

This act led to an altercation between them and fearing that the parents of Aarushi might get up, they went to the terrace where Raj Kumar and Krishna had a scuffle with Hemraj in which he was killed.

"Krishna and Raj Kumar came back to Aarushi's room and killed her," Arun Kumar said.

He said two days before the murders, Dr Talwar had scolded Krishna for not performing his official duties. This had led to a grudge with Krishna openly discussing taking revenge.

The psychological assessment of Krishna said that he was having aggressive tendencies, not loyal to anyone, evasive, manipulative and hiding facts," he said.

He said the confession of Krishna and Raj Kumar "has been corroborated forensically to the extent that the blood of Hemraj (AB group) was found on pillow in Aarushi's room".

"The other scientific tests gave also largely supported their confessional statements," he said. To a question about the recovery of weapons of offence, Kumar said "they would be able to find it shortly".

The CBI said CBI investigations would continue.

"We will talk to Vijay Mandal now. We will give you details as and when it comes. We are sharing details with you because so many speculative stories are flying around. Let me tell you the doctor-couple were sleeping at home on the day of the murder," Kumar said.

Nupur Talwar was relieved as she made her way back from the Ghaziabad court on Friday. The Central Bureau of Investigation had just told the court that they had nothing against her husband, Rajesh Talwar. The court had later granted Rajesh Talwar bail.

Speaking to, she said, ' We are relieved at the court's order. We haven't had a moment's relief since Aarushi died. Once my husband is released, we will begin to pick up the threads of our life."

According to her father, Dr Nupur Talwar fainted during the court proceedings while listening to the arguments for ther husband's release.

After the hearing, Nupur rushed to her parents houseand did not speak to the media. Sources said that Rajesh Talwar was taking things in his stride and might address the media once he is released.

ALSO READ: Coverage page on the sensational Aarushi murder

With PTI inputs

   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop