Anna Nicole Smith died because of an accidental overdose of a lethal combination of drugs she likely didn't know could kill her, police said on Monday.
Smith died suddenly after collapsing in a Florida hotel on February 8.
"We found nothing to indicate any foul play," said Chief Charlie Tiger of the Seminole Police Department.
Broward County Medical Examiner Dr Joshua Perper said the powerful sleeping drug chloral hydrate and at least eight other prescription drugs formed a lethal combination along with a case of the flu and a bacterial infection Smith had developed from injecting drugs into her buttocks.
He said Smith had been taking a lengthy list of medications, including methadone for pain and valium, but those drugs were at therapeutic levels; she also had been on several antidepressant and anti-anxiety drugs and had recently taken longevity medications, vitamin B12 and growth hormone.
Rediff India Abroad's Arthur J Pais and Mabel E Pais spoke to Sandeep Kapoor, perhaps the most scrutinised physicians in America after Smith's death. He repudiated all accusations against him.
These include writing a prescription using an alias and having it shipped to former Playboy playmate Anne Nicole Smith, then in the Bahamas.
The 38-year-old also challenged suggestions that he is a playboy physician and his frolicking bare-chested with Smith at a Gay Parade two years ago should not be viewed out of context.
Photograph: Carlo Allegri/Getty Images
Also see: Mumbai sways to Shakira's hips