Photographs: Courtesy T R Sriniwas
Readers share the stories and strategies behind their weight loss.
Last week, we invited you to share your diet and exercise strategies with us.
Here is another response from T R Sriniwas, who has lost 29 kg over the past year:
It started off in November 2011. I weighed 114 kg and was not even able to breathe properly when climbing stairs or driving. I had a problem with severe snoring and sleep apnea. I used to eat pizza every alternate day, and drink eight to 10 cups of tea with a minimum of two heaping spoons of sugar daily. I never walked or took up any form of exercise. I used to eat a lot of white rice with ghee and fried vegetables, full of spice and salt. And I used to sleep at 10 pm every night without even waiting for my food to digest.
Since then, I have changed my routine entirely:
- Now I have a 300 ml milk protein shake in the morning for breakfast and black sugarless tea early in the morning.
- Lunch is at noon -- dry rotis, or sometimes boiled thick dalia with steamed vegetables, cooked with no more than one teaspoon of oil for tadka. I also have a lot of green salads with lunch.
- At 3 pm, I have one black sugarless tea.
- Then at 6 pm, it's another protein shake or papaya fruit bowl.
- No cooked foods in the evening -- I have eliminated rice, carbohydrate-rich fruits and tubers from my diet.
- I have stopped using elevators and take the stairs now.
- I don't forget to drink at least four to five litres of water daily.
The result of all this is that I have lost 28.5 kg till date and 12 inches off my waistline. I am determined to come down below 80 kg now.
We want you to share your weight loss story with us. Write in to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'How I lost weight'), with a before and after photograph, if possible and we'll feature the best entries right here!