GATE 2012: Exam dates announced!
The dates for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam which is an all India level examination have been announced recently.
While the online examination is scheduled on January 29, 2012, Sunday, the offline exam will be held on February 12, 2012, Sunday.
GATE 2012 is jointly administered and conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) on behalf of the National Coordination Board comprising of GATE, Department of Higher Education (DHE), Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and Government of India (GoI).
The GATE committee, which includes representatives from the administering institutes, is the sole authority for regulating the examination and declaring the results.
GATE is conducted through the constitution of eight zones, namely:
Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD and some other Government scholarships/assistantships in engineering colleges/institutes is open to those who qualify in GATE examination.
Who can apply
If you are one of the following, you are eligible for GATE:
- Bachelor's degree holder in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Bachelor's degree holder in Engineering/Technology/Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Master's degree holder in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programmes.
- Pursuing second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Pursuing fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
- Hold a certificate obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE qualified candidates with Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture or Master's degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications are eligible for admission to Master's degree programmes in Engineering/Technology/Architecture as well as for Doctoral programmes in relevant branches of Science with MHRD or other government scholarships/assistantships.
To avail the scholarship, the candidate must secure admission to such a postgraduate programme, as per the prevailing procedure of the admitting institution.
However, candidates with Master's degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture may seek admission to relevant Doctoral programmes with scholarship/assistantship without appearing in the GATE examination.
GATE qualified candidates can also apply for various fellowships awarded by many Government organisations.
How to apply
You can log in to http://www.iitk.ac.in/gate/gate2012/howtoapply.php
The last date for submitting your application for GATE 2012 is October 17, 2011.
Announcement of GATE 2012 Results: March 15, 2012
M.Tech admissions 2012 will commence from March 15, 2012 and will go on till July 2012.
Image: Exam dates for Gate 2012 have been announced