This article was first published 20 years ago

Shoaib should have been picked: Wasim

Share:

May 07, 2005 15:04 IST

Former Test captain Wasim Akram believes Pakistan will struggle on their tour of the West Indies without bowler Shoaib Akhtar.

Also Read


Shoaib out on disciplinary grounds


Shoaib
was not selected for the tour, starting later this month, on fitness grounds after he pulled out of the tour of India earlier this year with a hamstring injury.

"Shoaib should have been picked for this series," Wasim told Reuters. "Without him and Mohammad Sami the Pakistan bowling will struggle on the West Indian pitches.

Sami is injured and will miss the three one-day internationals and two Tests in the Caribbean, but Shoaib, who has taken 144 test and 186 one-day wickets, had declared himself fit to tour.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shaharyar Khan and captain Inzamam-ul-Haq indicated that Shoaib's attitude and disciplinary record also played a role in his exclusion.

"I don't think he should have been discarded in this manner, said Wasim, who retired in 2003 with a haul of 414 test and 502 one-day wickets. "If he has disciplinary problems, it is up to the board and the captain to sort it out.

"Every bowler who is coming back from an injury takes time to lose weight and get into shape. This only happens after he plays a few matches.

"If he was not fit, he would not have played in the domestic games recently."

Share: