rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Shorts: Indian migrant workers still unpaid by Qatar WC builders

Sports Shorts: Indian migrant workers still unpaid by Qatar WC builders

Last updated on: July 31, 2014 13:57 IST

Sports Shorts: Indian migrant workers unpaid for over a year by Qatar WC builders

     Next

Next

Workers from India, Nepal and Sri Lanka who moved to Qatar to build luxury offices for the 2022 World Cup organisers have reportedly not been paid 13 months’ wages.

However, the organisers of 2022 World Cup said in a statement that they were heavily “dismayed” to learn of the behavior of Lee Trading with regard to the timely payment of its workers.

According to the Guardian, migrant laborers make up the bulk of the workforce but revealed that they have few rights and some workers had been left stranded in the country, working for as little as 0.85 dollar a day (50p), the BBC reported.

In May, Qatar vowed to improve the rights of migrants in the Gulf state amid growing alarm at their treatment. The project was commissioned by the Qatari government and was carried out by migrants working for the contractor Lee Trading.

It costs $4.25m and the offices were fitted with expensive etched glass and handmade Italian furniture. But Lee Trading’s collapse led to Amnesty International raising the case with Qatar’s prime minister last November after many of the workers were left stranded.

- NEXT: Injured Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati


Image: Members of the Swiss UNIA workers union display red cards and shout slogans during a protest in front of the headquarters of soccer's international governing body FIFA in Zurich
Photographs: Arnd Wiegmann/Reuters

     Next

Injured Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Rafael Nadal will miss two U.S. Open tune-up events due to a wrist injury that has put his status in doubt for a title defence at the year's final Grand Slam.

Nadal, who suffered the injury during practice, will have to wear a cast on his right wrist for two-to-three weeks, forcing him to withdraw from next week's Rogers Cup in Toronto and the following week's Cincinnati Open.

"Depending on the evolution of the injury that will be carefully followed by the doctors, including MRI tests, it will be decided then the return to competition, initially scheduled for the US Open," Nadal's publicist said in a statement.

The World No 2, who won the Canadian and Cincinnati titles last year, felt pain during practice in Mallorca and tests later revealed the injury, according to his publicist.

The injury will delay Nadal's start to the North American hardcourt season and his preparations for the August 25-September 8 U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows.

"I'm extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year," the 14-time Grand Slam winner said in a statement released by the tournament organisers.

"Unfortunately I injured myself yesterday during practice and after checking with my doctors I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks."

A three-time winner on the Canadian hardcourts, the event has traditionally marked the start of the Spaniard's buildup to Flushing Meadows and marks only the second time since he made his Rogers Cup in 2004 that he has missed the stop.

"We know Rafa is a fan favourite and our fans will be upset by his absence,” said Karl Hale, Rogers Cup tournament director. "But we also know that if Rafa could play he would as he has a great respect for our event and his Canadian fans."

Even with Nadal's withdrawal the Rogers Cup has attracted a top field that includes world number one Novak Djokovic, 17-times Grand Slam champion Roger Federer and Canadian hopeful Milos Raonic.

With Nadal's withdrawal, two-times Grand Slam champion Andy Murray moves into the number eight seed, giving him a first-round bye.

- NEXT: Liverpool edge City in friendly


Image: Rafael Nadal of Spain
Photographs: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Liverpool edge Manchester City on penalties in friendly

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Liverpool rallied twice against ManchesterCity and triumphed 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out Wednesday after their pre-season friendly at baseball's Yankee Stadium ended 2-2 after regular time, AFP reported on Thursday.

Stevan Jovetic scored twice for ManchesterCity, but Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling answered for Liverpool in the clash between last season's top two teams in the English Premier League.

Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool dominated in the shootout, with two saves from Simon Mignolet.

Montenegro's Jovetic opened the scoring in the 53rd minute after a defensive miscue from Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard.

Jesus Navas had fired a cross from the right and Gerrard was unable to block it. The ball trickled through his legs and Jovetic pounced to fire it home.

Henderson equalised six minutes later with a fine finish after solid work from Sterling and Daniel Sturridge.

But Jovetic restored the Premier League champions' lead in the 67th.

It was the second match in a row that Jovetic scored two for the Premier League champions. He netted a brace in Sunday's 5-1 friendly triumph over Italy's AC Milan in Pittsburgh.

England international Sterling knotted the score at 2-2 in the 85th with a well-taken strike -- and had a goal disallowed in injury time for offside.

- NEXT: Lukaku join Everton in five-year deal


Image: Liverpool's Jordan Henderson celebrates after scoring against Manchester City on Wednesday
Photographs: Liverpool FC/Facebook

Prev     Next

Lukaku leaves Chelsea to join Everton in 28 million pound deal

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku has completed a 28 million pounds move from Chelsea to Premier League rivals Everton, the GoodisonPark club said on Wednesday.

The transfer fee is a club record for Everton, and Lukaku has signed a five-year deal.

The 21-year-old enjoyed a successful loan spell at Everton last season, scoring 16 goals in 33 appearances.

"I am really excited about rejoining Everton," Lukaku told Everton's website (www.evertonfc.com).

"I had a fantastic experience last season and a great relationship with the manager, the chairman, the staff, the players and the fans. I can't wait to get started again and I'm looking forward to a successful season.”

Lukaku, who joined Chelsea from Anderlecht for 18 million pounds in 2011, helped Everton finish fifth last season and qualify for the Europa League.

- NEXT: Premier League to use vanishing spray from this season


Image: Everton striker Romelu Lukaku
Photographs: Stu Forster/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Premier League to use vanishing spray from this season

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

England's Premier League referees will use vanishing spray at free kicks from this season after officials saw the benefits during the World Cup finals in Brazil, chief executive Richard Scudamore said on Wednesday.

Referees carry a small aerosol can with the spray, used successfully at a World Cup for the first time, to mark the line of the defensive wall and the spot where a free kick is to be taken. It disappears inside a minute.

"At the Premier League we are open to developments that enhance the competition, and it was clear from watching the World Cup in Brazil that vanishing spray benefitted referees, players, and all of those who watched the matches," Scudamore said in a statement.

"Having witnessed that, and following consultation with our clubs and the PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited), we have decided to introduce it in the Premier League and look forward to having it in place for the 2014/15 season."

Former referee Mike Riley, head of the PGMOL officials' board, said: "As an assessor at the World Cup in Brazil I saw first-hand the benefits of vanishing spray for referees, and for the game as a whole."

The spray, produced in Argentina under the name 915 Fair Play Limit, has already been in use in major South American competitions, the MLS in the United States and FIFA junior tournaments. The number refers to the regulation 9.15 metres distance between the ball and the wall at free kicks.

- NEXT: Glazers to sell part of their stake in United


Image: A referee sprays vanishing spray to mark
Photographs: Dado Galdieri/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Glazers to sell part of their stake in United

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

The Glazer family will make around $150 million by selling part of its stake in Manchester United although the deal will leave the Americans firmly in control of the English soccer club.

The Glazers, who bought United for 790 million pounds ($1.34 billion) in 2005, are selling 8 million of their shares in the club which amounts to a stake of about five percent.

Once the shares are sold, the six children of the late Malcolm Glazer will still own more than 80 percent of the club's total shareholding.

None of the proceeds will go to the club itself, a fact that is likely to annoy some fans who have long campaigned against owners they accuse of burdening United with excess levels of debt following their takeover.

The sale of the shares would create a more liquid market for United stock after a flotation on the New York Stock Exchange two years ago.

The shares were listed at $14 and have risen to a price of $19.31 on Wednesday, valuing the club at almost $3.2 billion.

United, English soccer champions a record 20 times, are seeking to rebound after a poor season in which they finished only seventh in the Premier League, missing out on a place in lucrative European club competition in the coming season.

Optimism has been fuelled by the arrival of a new team manager, Dutchman Louis van Gaal, and the signing of a new sports equipment deal with Adidas worth a record 750 million pounds over 10 years. General Motors Co made a $559 million seven-year sponsorship deal with the club for GM's global mainstream auto brand, Chevrolet, to appear on team jerseys.

The Glazers also own the NFL team The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Family patriarch Malcolm Glazer died earlier this year.

The book-running managers for the share offering are Jefferies, BofA Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and Nomura.

- NEXT: Scolari to coach Brazilian club


Image: Manchester United players
Photographs: Manchester United/Facebook

Prev     Next

Scolari returns to coach Brazil club Gremio

Prev     More
Prev

More

Luiz Felipe Scolari said he needed a hug and some affection as the former Brazil coach returned on Wednesday to his favourite club Gremio after an 18-year absence.

Scolari has endured three miserable weeks after his Brazil side crashed to an unprecedented 7-1 defeat by Germany in front of a home crowd in Belo Horizonte in their World Cup semi-final.

The 65-year-old was officially fired by Brazil on July 14, one day after the World Cup ended and two days after his side suffered another embarrassing result, a 3-0 loss to Netherlands in the third-place match.

"I've been here twice before and always had a marvellous relationship," Scolari told a news conference as he was officially presented at the Porto Alegre club.

"I came back at this moment because I need a hug, some affection, people who know me and Gremio is the right place, because I know that the players and the supporters will be with me.

"Everyone knows that I'm a Gremio fan," added Scolari, who was greeted by more than one hundred fans as he arrived at Porto Alegre airport. "The only invitation that I would accept is from Gremio.

"I'm at home and happy to be at Gremio again. There's nothing better than being here today."

Scolari had a brief spell at Gremio in 1987, then returned in 1993, making his name in the subsequent four years.

He turned Gremio into one of the most feared and ruthless teams in South America, winning the Copa Brasil in 1994, Libertadores Cup in 1995 and the Brazilian championship the following year.

Gremio have appointed 24 different coaches since Scolari left the club at the end of 1996, including Celso Roth, who has had three stints in charge, and Renato Portaluppi, who has coached them twice.

Scolari replaces Enderson Moreira who was fired on Sunday after his side lost at home to Coritiba in the Brazilian championship.

Gremio are 10th in the 20-team table with 19 points from 12 games.


Image: Luiz Felipe Scolari
Photographs: Buda Mendes/Getty Images

Prev     More