rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » In PHOTOS: East Delhi building collapse

In PHOTOS: East Delhi building collapse

Last updated on: November 16, 2010 12:03 IST

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

     Next

Next

The death toll in the east Delhi building collapse mounted to 66 on Tuesday as scores of rescue workers struggled to pull out those trapped in the debris of one of the worst such incidents in the capital.

At least 130 people were also injured when the 15-year-old building, where an illegal fifth floor was under construction, came crashing down around 8.15 pm on Monday at Lalita Park in Laxmi Nagar.

Click on NEXT to read further...

WARNING: Some PHOTOGRAPHS may be disturbing. Reader discretion is advised.


Image: An injured woman being rescued from the debris
Photographs: Reuters
     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
Families of around 10 migrant labourers were believed to be staying in the building.

Police have registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against the building owner Amrit Singh, who is absconding. A senior police official said the case has been registered against under section 304 of Indian Penal Code.


Image: A rescue worker carries an injured girl to safety
Photographs: Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Singh fled along with his family soon after the four-storey building, which had been rented out to the migrant labourers collapsed.

"Singh is absconding and we are searching for him," the police officials said.


Image: Rescue workers evacuate a woman from the debris
Photographs: Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
"Till now 66 people have been killed in the incident," Delhi Health Minister Kiran Walia said.

A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the incident, Delhi government officials said.



Image: An injured woman is rescued from the rubble
Photographs: Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
Forty one bodies have been taken to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital (LNJP), 16 to Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital,
six to Hedgewar Hospital and three to Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital.


Image: Local residents and rescue workers remove the body of a woman from the debris
Photographs: Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
Rescue workers from National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire department, police, civil defence and locals had worked overnight to remove tons of concrete from the spot and find trapped people.


Image: An injured man is rescued from the debris
Photographs: Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said, "30 to 40 people are yet to be rescued. I think this disaster happened because of the carelessness of the builder. I will order an inquiry into the incident."



Image: Local residents search for survivors under the rubble
Photographs: Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Dikshit added that mobile phones have been heard ringing under the debris.

The building is suspected to have weakened due to the heavy rains during monsoon when Yamuna river flooded the area.





Image: Rescue workers search for survivors under the rubble
Photographs: Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Prev     Next

East Delhi building collapse kills 66

Prev     More
Prev

More

A 250-member disaster management team has been deployed to help in rescue effort.

Officials said they were unclear about the number of people still trapped in the debris.



Image: escue workers search for survivors under the rubble
Photographs: Adnan Abidi/Reuters
Prev     More