|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Rajasthan gives Rs 5 lakh for victims' families
May 14, 2008 06:40 IST
The Rajasthan government has announced a relief of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased killed in the serial blasts in Jaipur on Tuesday evening.
An official spokesman told UNI that relief of Rs 1 lakh would also be provided to each of the critically injured, whereas Rs 25,000 would be given to other injured in the blasts.
An estimated 60 people died and around 150 were injured in the six blasts which rocked different places in the walled city between 1935 and 1945 hrs.
Meanwhile, about 400 personnel of the Rapid Action Force were rushed to Jaipur last night in the wake of the serial blasts.
Four companies (nearly 400 personnel) of the RAF have been rushed to the Pink City following the blasts, Central Reserve Police Force spokesperson Ajay Chaturvedi told PTI.
Of the four companies despatched to the walled city, two are from Delhi and two from Aligarh, he added.
Union Minister State for Home Affairs Jaiprakash Jaiswal visited the hospital and various blasts sites last night to have an on-the-spot assessment of the situation in the wake of the serial blasts.
Jaiswal, accompanied by All India Congress Committee general secretary and former Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot and AICC general secretary Mukul Wasnik arrived in Jaipur after midnight.
Jaiswal condemned the serial blasts, and asked the people to remain calm and maintain peace.
Speaking to reporters later, Jaiswal said: "This is no time for trading allegations against anyone but to ensure how peace and harmony was restored."
He said the Centre was ready to extend all help and cooperation to the state government at this hour of crisis.
The Centre has already sent a platoon of the National Security Guards and if required more force will be sent, he said.
Meanwhile, the army has been alerted and prohibition orders under Section 144 have been promulgated following the Jaipur serial blasts.
Talking to reporters late last night, Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje said the state government would deal with a strong hand with people who are behind the conspiracy.
Raje said no definite lead had so far emerged in the blasts, and added that the investigating agencies would have a clear picture by tomorrow.
Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria said at this point of time nothing could be said about the involvement of specific terrorist outfit but the blasts were similar to those carried out by terrorist outfit Harkat-ul-Islam in other places in the country.
He said bombs were planted either on cycles, auto rickshaw and a car.