Snack recipe: How to make Spinach Calzone
Reader Rama Muralidharan shared this interesting snack recipe. You can share yours too!
Calzone, an Italian speciality, is bread stuffed with veggies and nuts.
They make for a yummy snack item.
You can replace veggies with meat or eggs as well. Reader Rama Muralidharan shares this Spinach Calzone recipe:
For the base
- 2 cups maida
- 1 cup multigrain atta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the filling
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup grated paneer
- 1/2 cup grated pizza cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp mixed dry herbs(oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper powder to taste
- Take half cup warm water, add sugar and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes until it froths well.
- Mix the maida, atta and salt and make a soft dough with the yeast water.
- Once done, knead the dough for five minutes using olive oil little by little.
- Store it in a greased bowl for 3 to 4 hours till it rises well.
- Wash the spinach. Dry the leaves well using a thick towel.
- Finely chop the spinach leaves.
- In a skillet, drop 1 tbsp olive oil and add the chopped garlic, crushed red pepper, and chopped onions. Saute well.
- Now add the chopped spinach and a pinch of salt and black pepper and cook well till it becomes dry. The trick is to cook the spinach quickly on high flame stirring continuously. The whole process should not take more than three minutes.
- Add the dried spices mix and allow it to cool.
- Add the paneer and cheese to the spinach mixture and stir well. Keep aside a little cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Take the dough and divide it into 12 equal portions.
- Using your palm or a rolling pin roll each one into a 4" diameter circle.
- Place the filling on one side.
- Wet the corners with little water and seal the edges giving it a nice semi circular shape.
- Repeat this for the rest of the dough and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little cheese on top.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cook the calzones for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the hot with marinara sauce or cheese sauce.
Reader invite: Dear Reader, do you have an interesting quick-fix breakfast/lunch/snack recipe that you'd like to share with us?
Email your recipe along with a photograph, if possible, to email@example.com (Subject line: Quick fix recipes) and we'll publish the best ones right here!
Image: Spinach Calzone