Ramzan recipe: How to make Haleem
We bring you recipes for the holy month of Ramzan from the recipe journal of Shabeer Selod
ALSO CHECK OUT 5 low-calorie Ramzan recipes!
Today, we bring you the recipe for:
- 1/2 kg mutton, cubed and washed
- 1 1/2 cups daliya or coarsely ground or cracked wheat, (available in grocery stores)
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 to 3 green chillies (or as per taste)
- 1 tsp turmeric or haldi powder
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 medium-sized onion, cut into fine slices for baghar
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour or besan
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 small bunch of mint leaves
- Grind the garlic, ginger and chillies into paste. In a pressure cooker or heavy-bottomed pot, with a lid, add washed mutton, the ground masala, haldi, jeera, garam masala, 2 cups water and half of the oil.
- Pressure-cook or cook till meat is tender.
- Add 2 cups water, stir in the wheat daliya (cracked wheat) and cook till wheat is done, stirring all the time to prevent wheat from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- In 1/4 cup of water, dissolve the besan completely; there should be no lumps. Pour the besan mixture into the meat and wheat. Bring to a boil.
- Take the remaining oil in a pan and fry the sliced onion to a crisp brown, but take care not to burn it. Add 1/2 tsp jeera seeds. When they crackle, pour into the meat and wheat mixture. Keep covered for a while. Open and thoroughly mix, till all the oil is absorbed.
- Serve hot in a bowl, garnished with chopped mint leaves.
Reader Invite: Do you have a special Ramzan recipe that you would like to share with us?
Simply e-mail your recipes (subject: Ramzan Recipes) to email@example.com.
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.
Photographs: Omer Hussain/Wikimedia Creative Commons