We'd asked you, dear readers, to share your favourite Ramzan recipes.
Indian chef Saransh Goila, author of the acclaimed food travelogue India on my Platter -- shares two tasty Ramzan recipes that you should try. You can share yours too.
- 3 cups hung yoghurt
- 1 small sandalwood stick
- 100 gm paneer (crumbled)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 10 to 12 saffron strands (soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Freshly ground mix of 4 cloves, 8 peppercorn, 1 tsp jeera, 1 inch cinnamon and 4 small cardamoms
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp maida
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup finely powdered dry fruits (cashew, almonds, pistachio)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
- Take hung yogurt in a bowl.
- Add crumbled paneer, ginger garlic paste, green chillies, red chilli powder, freshly ground spice powders, salt, dry fruits, chopped mint, saffron, cornflour and maida to it. Mix well.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Make a small patty with the above mixture.
- Coat these patties with bread crumbs.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add grated sandalwood or the whole piece as it is.
- Simmer for five minutes. Let it cook for 30 minutes so that the ghee absorbs the aroma of sandalwood. Strain it.
- Once done, shallow fry kebabs in this sandalwood ghee.
- Serve them hot with sheermal or any other Indian bread that you prefer.
Khajur ki Kheer
- 50 gm basmati rice
- 500 ml cow's milk
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 tbsp ghee
- 3/4 to 1 cup date puree
- A handful of mixed dry fruits (raisins, almonds, pistachios)
- Slivers of almond and pistachio (for garnish)
- Boil the dates adding a cup of water till it's soft and can be easily pureed.
- Remove the seeds if not using seedless dates and puree the dates using very little water.
- Pick, wash and soak rice for an hour.
- Drain the rice and keep it aside.
- In a deep pan, heat some ghee and add rice.
- Stir the rice for a minute or two. Add warm milk.
- Lower the flame and add roughly chopped nuts and raisins.
- Simmer till the rice is cooked and the starch is released.
- When it's almost cooked, add date puree according to the desired level of sweetness.
- Remove it in bowls.
- Garnish with slivers of almond and pistachio. Serve.
Note: You may add more milk depending upon the consistency you are looking for.
Do you have interesting Ramzan recipes to share?
E-mail your recipes email@example.com (subject: Ramzan Recipes) along with your NAME, LOCATION and a brief description of the recipe. We will publish select recipes on Rediff.com and India Abroad.