Rediff reader Urmimala Banerjee shares this special fish recipe made without using any water.
Here’s how to make Kosha Maach:
- Katla Machh: 4 to 6 big pieces (preferably gada’r piece)
- Mustard oil as per requirement
- 4 to 5 onions, thinly sliced
- 5 medium sized tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10 to 12 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 inch long ginger, ground to a paste
- 6 green chillies
- Turmeric powder, as per taste
- Salt and sugar, as per taste
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- Rub turmeric powder and salt over the fish slices. Marinate for at least 15 minutes. Heat mustard oil in a kadai and fry the fish pieces one or two at a time.
- Fry till both side turn golden brown. Keep aside.
- For the gravy, heat mustard oil in another kadai. Add onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir till oil starts to separate.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and sugar per taste. Keep stirring.
- Finally add the split green chillies. Add little oil if required but no water.
- Then carefully place the fried fish pieces into the kadai.
- Cover with lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Gently turn over the fish piece. Cover with lid and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Once done garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steam rice.
Photograph: Urmimala Banerjee
Liked this recipe? Click here for more interesting recipes and food features!
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.