rediff logo
« Back to Article
Print this article

Hussain says Flintoff fitness decision due soon

December 11, 2002 13:09 IST
England will decide within the next 24 hours whether they will send all-rounder Andrew Flintoff home, captain Nasser Hussain said on Wednesday.

England were anxious to do "the most professional thing" over Flintoff's recovery from a hernia operation, especially with the World Cup looming in South Africa in February, Hussain told reporters.

"At the moment he can probably bowl four or five overs to his potential, at best, and he is a bit stiff in the field," Hussain said. "We've got a World Cup coming up in a couple of months and we hope he'll be a key member.

"What's the best thing to do for Andrew Flintoff and the team? It's discussed every day and will have to be resolved in the next 24 hours."

Flintoff, 25, who has missed all three Tests so far on the Ashes tour, played in Tuesday's match in Canberra against an Australia Prime Minister's XI.

However, the Lancashire all-rounder appeared less than match-fit, making 13 runs and conceding 0-32 from 4.4 overs as the home side won by four wickets with more than 10 overs to spare.

England, who have not recorded a victory in 11 matches on their Ashes tour, face

world champions Australia in Sydney on Friday in the opening match of the triangular limited overs series, which includes Sri Lanka.

"Obviously he can play on Friday, but it's whether it's the right thing to do or not," Hussain said.

"Would it happen in any other sport? Would someone half-fit be playing? Would this Australian side play someone half-fit?

"(We must decide) whether we are happy for him to play the way he is, whether he should go back to England to have his problem sorted there or whether he should stay here and rest and get ready for the World Cup.

"We have to do the most professional thing."

England have suffered a series of injury mishaps on the tour with pace bowlers Darren Gough, Simon Jones and Chris Silverwood ruled out of the series, while Flintoff, John Crawley, Ashley Giles and Andrew Caddick have missed matches.

Off-spinner Jeremy Snape was ruled out for three weeks after breaking his thumb while batting against New South Wales in a match in Sydney on Friday.

Caddick, 34, is undergoing treatment for a knee injury suffered in the Canberra match and will face a fitness test for Friday's game.

Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2026 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.