Home > Cricket > World Cup 2003 > News > Report|
Mohandas Menon |
February 28, 2003 18:11 IST
South Africa vs Canada, East London
- Ashish Patel became the 27th Canadian to appear in LOIs.
- Allan Donald was appearing in his 25th World Cup match, making him the South African with most appearances in the World Cup. He went past the tally 24 matches by Jonty Rhodes.
- John Davison with seven wickets has now taken maximum wickets for Canada in LOIs. His lone wicket in this match has taken his career tally just ahead of Austin Codrington (6 wkts).
- The 109-run partnership between Graeme Smith and Boeta Dippenaar was the South Africa's best in the World Cup for the fourth wicket bettering the previous best of 79 runs between Peter Kirsten and Dave Richardson against New Zealand at Auckland on 29-2-1992.
- Incidentally this was the only second 100-plus partnership for any wicket against the Canadians in LOIs. The only other three-figure partnership being for the 2nd wicket by West Indians Wavell Hinds and Brian Lara when they put on 102 at Centurion four days ago on 23-2-2003.
- The unbeaten partnership of 52 runs between Ishwar Maraj and Ashish Bagai was Canada's all time best for the sixth wicket in LOIs. The pair obliterates the previous best of 26 runs between Ian Billcliff and Abdul Sattur against Bangladesh at Durban on 11-2-2003.
- Ishwar Maraj (53 not out, out of a total of 136-5) became the second batsman from non-Test playing nation to carry the bat through out his team's innings in the World Cup. He joins Zimbabwean Andy Flower (115 not out/312-4) who achieved this distinction during the 1992 World Cup against Sri Lanka at New Plymouth on 23-2-1992. Maraj also becomes the ninth batsman in the World Cup to carry his bat throughout the team's innings.
- Maraj, meanwhile, recorded the slowest fifty in LOI history. He reached his 50 in 148 balls (& 209 mins). Kenya's Dipak Chudasama has made 51 in 135 balls against Pakistan at the Aga Khan Ground at Nairobi on 2-10-1996.
- Canada's total of 136-5 in 50 overs was the lowest by any team playing their full quota of overs against South Africa. UAE had made 152-8 in 50 overs at Rawalpindi on 16-2-1996.
- Dippenaar won his maiden man of the match award of his career in 55 matches.
|People Who Read This Also Read|