|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Haneef's decision on returning to Australia next week
Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | January 04, 2008 11:29 IST
Mohammad Haneef, who was cleared of terrorism charges in Australia, will decide on returning to Austalia next week, family sources told rediff.com.
Haneef, who was detained by the Australian police in connection with the UK terror plot, was later released after charges against him were dropped. He also won a legal battle in court following which the judiciary ordered restoration of his visa.
Haneef is in Saudi Arabia now and will return to Bangalore next week. Immediately after his return to Bangalore, he will take a final decision on whether to return to Australia or not.
Some family members still oppose him from going to Australia.
"Nothing will happen, but there is an apprehension in our minds," a family member said, seeking anonymity.
Haneef's return, at present, to Australia is highly doubtful. He said earlier that he was fighting the legal battle only to clear his name and had no intention of returning to Australia.
Sources say Haneef may wait for some more time before making a decision. His legal team had said that they might sue the Australian government for defamation.
Haneef had left on a Haj piligrimage with his mother and wife. He is expected to return next Saturday to Bangalore, family members said.