Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > News > Report

Sabeel's family waits for his return

Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | April 13, 2008 17:27 IST

Sabeel Ahmed's return to his hometown Bangalore, after being deported by the United Kingdom, will be a quiet affair. Sabeel was convicted and sentenced to 18-month imprisonment after he confessed to withholding information regarding the failed Glasgow terror attack.

The somber note marking Sabeel's impending return is in sharp contrast to the return of his cousin Dr Haneef Mohammad, who had returned to a rousing welcome organised by his family members, after he was absolved of terror charges by the Australian government.

For Sabeel's mother Dr Zakia Ahmed, life changed completely after news of the failed Glasgow bombing broke out. At her home in Banashankari in Bangalore, Dr Zakia Ahmed looks at peace now.

However, Zakia is puzzled by Sabeel's confession. "I fail to understand as to why he said he was guilty of an offence. But that does not matter to me at the moment. The only thing that matters is that I will get to see my son after such a long time," she says.

The family has not been informed about the exact date of his return. Zakia, who talked to Sabeel recently, said that he sounded very happy at the prospect of returning to Bangalore.

When Sabeel's father, Dr Maqbool Ahmed, and Dr Zakia asked Sabeel about his date of return, he told them, "You have waited such a long time for me. Just wait for some more time and I will be there."

B T Venkatesh, the Ahmeds' lawyer, said that no decision has been taken about their future course of action. He refused to comment on whether they plan to challenge Sabeel's conviction.

Sabeel, who completed his MBBS from Dr B R Ambedkar Medical College in Bangalore, moved to the UK in 2005. He lived with his brother Kafeel, the main accused in the failed Glasgow bombings, in Cambridge and later worked at a hospital near Liverpool.