Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors

Home > News > Report

Haneef's wife to seek PM's intervention

Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | July 14, 2007 10:15 IST
Last Updated: July 14, 2007 14:04 IST

Mohammad Haneef's wife, Firdous Ashriya has decided to talk to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [Images] and seek his intervention.

Firdous said that the PM is her last hope and if he too did not do anything to help her family and husband, she would do something to herself. She did not mention what exactly she would do.

She said she is sure of his innocence and added that the Indian government had to step in and bail her husband, an innocent man out of the situation.

She said that Haneef's lawyer had asked her to have patience and wait until Monday for the judgement on the bail plea.

Disappointed and angry with the Australian police charging Haneef with supporting a terrorist organisation, Firdous on Saturday said the grounds on which he was being held in detention were "totally baseless and unfair."

"Why did the Australian Police wait for 12 days to press these charges against him. The police was aware from day one that he had left his SIM card with his cousins (Sabeel and Kafeel Ahmed, two other suspects in the UK terror plot)," Firdous told PTI.

Glasgow Terror Plot: The Indian Connection

"They (the Australian police) could not find anything substantial against him (Haneef). Hence, they have charged him with this," she said. There had been hopes of his release on Friday after the Australian police dropped a request to extend the detention of Haneef who is in custody for 12 days without charge in the failed UK terror plot.

The hopes were short-lived as the Australian police on Saturday charged Haneef with providing support to a terrorist organisation, saying he "recklessly" gave his mobile phone SIM card to people planning the car bomb attacks.

"I was expecting them to release him," Firdous said, adding, "but they have decided to frame these charges after such a long delay.

"Was there anything wrong in his having a communication with his cousins (Sabeel and Kafeel)," she asked.

Firdous believes that Haneef is innocent and could do no wrong. She said that her husband never kept in touch with either Kafeel Ahmed or Dr Sabeel Ahmed after he went to Australia.

She also said that the allegation that he may have supplied SIM cards in connection with this case is not true, because she believes that her husband would not involve himself with any kind of terror outfits.

The rest of the family stayed indoors and refused to speak to anyone. Sources say that the family is very tense and are just awaiting a decision on his bail plea, which is expected to come out on Saturday.

(With PTI Inputs)