Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > Report

Goa SARS case may be a false alarm

Sandesh Manohar Prabhudesai in Panaji | April 17, 2003 20:25 IST

The first case of SARS in India may be a false alarm.

Just hours after addressing a press conference in Panaji on Thursday morning to declare the first confirmed case of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome -- an atypical pneumonia that has claimed over 100 lives and triggered the wrost global health scare in recent times -- Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and his health minister met journalists again in the evening to say that the SARS case may be a 'false positive'.

Parrikar said whatever the victim was suffering from -- SARS or some other disesase -- he was cured now. However, taking into consideration the sensitivity of the case he was being kept in isolation at the Goa Medical College hospital.

The patient's parents and friends, who met him after he arrived in Goa on April 1 from a holiday tour of Hong Kong and Singapore, have been persuaded to stay away from public places.

The GMC has sent samples of his blood, serum, throat swab and urine for laboratory testing, this time to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, Delhi.

Tests done earlier at the Institute of Virology, Pune on the samples were positive.

"There is a mismatch between the clinical and laboratory findings, and to the best of our knowledge, no other person has been infected. It is therefore not possible to say with certainty that the patient has SARS," an official communique said.

The chief minister said the incubation period of seven toten days is already over and the patient -- a young marine engineer -- appears hale and hearty. His wife, who had been to Hong Kong and Singapore with him, has also not shown any symptoms of SARS, he added.

The marine engineer and his wifehad been on a holiday trip to Hong Kong and Singapore between March 26 and 30. He stayed in Mumbai for three days before returning to Goa.

Since he was running slight temperature, his doctor referred him to the Goa Medical College in view of the global SARS alert and he was admitted to GMC's SARS ward.

He was discharged on April 10 and was put in isolation at his residence at Dhawali in Ponda taluka awaiting reports from Pune.

The reports came on Wednesday night. Since the tests were positive he was readmitted to the SARS ward in GMC.

The press release said the government decided to release the name of the patient in public interest, so that anyone who had come in contact with him would approach appropriate medical authorities.



More reports from Goa

Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 4




Sub: What a laugh ! These buffoons !

That India is yet to confirm a SARS case is indeed very good fortune ! Such tamasha indulged in by our mahan netas will only ...


Posted by Haha





Sub: its all sooo misleading

all this shows the inability of r medical system.....first of all the detection shud be done rite at the airport....the govn shud take measures to ...


Posted by mahek





Sub: Ofcourse

It was bound to be a false alarm. the very fact that this news was headline of TOI and it was presented as is this ...


Posted by pankaj





Sub: This Hurts

This shows the political system and civil system in INdia. Why CM was so hurry in organising the Press meet and announce that its a ...


Posted by Saradhi




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.
pyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.