Rediff.com  » Sports » Soccer: Real Madrid to sue La Liga over CVC deal

Soccer: Real Madrid to sue La Liga over CVC deal

August 10, 2021 18:39 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez

IMAGE: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez. Photograph: Eric Alonso/Getty Images

Spain's Real Madrid will launch civil and criminal lawsuits against La Liga president Javier Tebas and CVC Capital Partners' chief Javier de Jaime Guijarro over their proposed 2.7 billion euro ($3.16 billion) deal, the club said on Tuesday.

Real Madrid also said it would pursue legal action to block approval of the planned deal, which is to be voted on by La Liga members.

The league said last week that the deal, called 'Boost La Liga', would strengthen its clubs and give them funds to spend on new infrastructure and modernisation projects as well as increasing how much they could spend on players' salaries.

But Real and Barcelona have fiercely opposed the deal as it gives CVC a 10% share in the league's future television rights.

 

Tebas responded to the statement with a message on Twitter in which he criticised Real president Florentino Perez for using "threatening methods".

CVC Capital Partners was not available for immediate comment.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta last week said the deal was like "mortgaging the club's rights over the next half-century" and said he would reject it, even though the deal would have helped alleviate the Catalans' financial problems and allow them to sign Lionel Messi, who has left Barca, to a new contract.

The Spanish league last week said it was not worried by legal moves from Real Madrid and that legal disputes between the two entities were common.

($1 = 0.8532 euros)

Stones extends Manchester City stay

Manchester City defender John Stones has signed a new five-year contract to commit his future to the defending premier league champions.

John's previous deal was due to expire at the end of next season and this new agreement keeps him at the Club until the summer of 2026. Stones, who joined City five years ago, finalised the new contract after returning to the City Football Academy following his Euro 2020 exploits with England, where he maintained his superb club form to deliver a string of impressive performances as the Three Lions reached the final.

The 27-year-old arrived at the Etihad Stadium ahead of Pep Guardiola's first season in charge and has since gone on to make 168 appearances, winning every trophy in the English game, including three Premier Leagues, two League Cups, one FA Cup and two Community Shields.

"I couldn't be happier," Stones said.

"I love being part of this squad. There are so many quality players here and I know we can continue winning trophies, which is my main focus. Working with the manager is a dream -- he has taught me so much about the game and I feel like I learn something new every single day," John Stones stated in a release.

"The success we've had in the last four years has been incredible. To be a part of it has been a dream come true and I just want to continue winning. This is the best place for me to play my football and fulfil my ambitions.”

Liverpool defender Robertson out with ligament damage

Liverpool left back Andy Robertson said on Monday he had sustained ligament damage in Sunday's 1-1 friendly draw with Athletic Bilbao.

The injury will rule the Scotland international out of Liverpool's Premier League season-opener at newly-promoted Norwich City on Saturday.

"Scan suggests nothing too major but there’s some ligament damage which will need to mend. I will be grafting every day so I can help the team again sooner rather than later," he said on Twitter.

Robertson limped off at the end of the first half of the match at Anfield as he attempted to block a cross.

Liverpool wrapped up their pre-season friendlies with a 3-1 win against Osasuna on Monday.

Jordan Henderson and Thiago Alcantara both made their first pre-season appearances for Liverpool in Monday's match at Anfield.

Eintracht Frankfurt seal loan signing of Milan winger Hauge

Eintracht Frankfurt have signed Norway winger Jens Petter Hauge on loan from AC Milan, the German club announced on Tuesday.

The 21-year-old joins the Bundesliga side on a temporary deal but the move could become permanent at the end of the 2021-22 season.

Milan said in a statement the loan transfer included “an obligation for a definitive purchase upon the occurrence of certain conditions”.

Hauge joined the Italian club from Bodo/Glimt in October 2020 but struggled for game time in his debut season, making 18 Serie A appearances and scoring two goals.

Frankfurt, who finished fifth in the Bundesliga last season, kick off the new league campaign away to Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.

Brighton sign Japanese midfielder Mitoma

Brighton and Hove Albion signed Japanese midfielder Kaoru Mitoma on a four-year deal from J-League champions Kawasaki Frontale on Tuesday and will loan him to Belgium's Royale Union Saint-Gilloise for the coming season.

Mitoma, 24, was in the Japan squad at the Tokyo Olympics.

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom is the majority shareholder in Saint-Gilloise.

"We’re delighted be able to sign Kaoru, who arrives off the back of a couple of really strong seasons in Japan," Brighton's technical director, Dan Ashworth, said in a statement on the Premier League club's website. (http://www.brightonandhovealbion.com)

"As part of his development we have decided to loan him to Union Saint-Gilloise, to help him become accustomed to European football, and test himself in a different environment.

"He’s one we have tracked for a while, so we are looking forward to seeing how he progresses in the next year and we will be watching him closely during his time in Belgium," Ashworth said.

Mitoma said he wanted to improve his physical strength and show he could fight through a whole season.

"I want to contribute to the Brighton team after my time in Belgium," he said.

US forward Sargent joins Norwich from Werder Bremen

US forward Josh Sargent has joined Premier League Norwich City from Werder Bremen on a four-year deal, the newly-promoted club said on Monday.

Financial details were not disclosed. Sky Sports television put the figure at 8 million pounds ($11.08 million).

The 21-year-old scored 15 goals in 83 games in all competitions in his two and a half years with the German club's senior side.

"I’ve always wanted to play in the Premier League, so it’s a very exciting opportunity for me," he told the club website (http://www.canaries.co.uk).

Sargent follows Kosovo international winger Milot Rashica, who joined Norwich in June after Werder Bremen were relegated on the Bundesliga's final day.

"We know we have to be a bit more creative in the transfer market," said Norwich's German manager Daniel Farke.

"We think we have a player in Josh who can contribute and develop into a top goalscorer on Premier League level. We see his potential and are delighted to have him with us."

($1 = 0.7223 pounds)

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
AGENCIES

New Zealand Tour of India, 2021