Rediff.com  » Sports » Extras: UK man arrested over death of footballer Sala

Extras: UK man arrested over death of footballer Sala

June 20, 2019 09:25 IST

News of all that's transpired on and off the football field

Tributes left outside the Stade de la Beaujoire stadium in Louis Fonteneau, Nantes, in France for Emiliano Sala on January 30, 2019

IMAGE: Tributes left outside the Stade de la Beaujoire stadium in Louis Fonteneau, Nantes, in France for Emiliano Sala on January 30, 2019. The 28-year-old Argentina-born forward had been en route from Nantes in western France with pilot David Ibbotson to make his debut for Welsh team Cardiff City when the plane is believed to have crashed into the sea on January 21. Photograph: Stephane Mahe/File Photo/Reuters

British police said on Wednesday they had arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the death of Argentine soccer player Emiliano Sala in a plane crash in January.

 

Sala, 28, was flying from his previous club Nantes in western France to Wales to join CardiffCity when the Piper Malibu aircraft disappeared over the English Channel.

"We have today ... arrested a 64-year-old man from the North Yorkshire area on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act," said Detective Inspector Simon Huxter, of Dorset Police in a statement.

"He is assisting with our enquiries and has been released from custody under investigation."

The statement said police would provide no further details on the man's identity at this stage.

Top Swiss prosecutor recuses himself from soccer corruption probe

Attorney General Michael Lauber will no longer participate in meetings about his department's probe into corruption in world soccer, his office said on Wednesday, as he bows to a court order to recuse himself from the case.

The Swiss Federal Criminal Court, in a ruling published on Tuesday, had concluded Lauber's closed-door meetings with FIFA President Gianni Infantino had raised the appearance of bias and disqualified him from the probe.

Lauber's office added his recusal would not call all of federal prosecutors' work in the soccer investigation into question, since a task force that includes numerous prosecutors, assistant prosecutors and forensic financial experts is handling the criminal probe. "Most of the pending criminal case will proceed as planned," the office said.

Source:
© Copyright 2019 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT