Rediff.com  » Sports » Premier League records 40 new COVID-19 cases

Premier League records 40 new COVID-19 cases

Last updated on: January 05, 2021 22:46 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Last week, Fulham's games at Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur were called off due to a COVID-19 outbreak at the west London club, while Manchester City's match at Everton was cancelled due to fresh COVID-19 cases reported at the Etihad club.

IMAGE: Last week, Fulham's games at Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur were called off due to a COVID-19 outbreak at the west London club, while Manchester City's match at Everton was cancelled due to fresh COVID-19 cases reported at the Etihad club. Photograph: Michael Regan/Getty Images

The Premier League said on Tuesday that a total of 40 individuals tested positive for COVID-19, the highest number of cases in a week this season, in two rounds of tests conducted last week.

Since the new season kicked off, 171 individuals in the English top-flight have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in 19 rounds of testing.

The league, which is now conducting tests twice per week, did not name the people who tested positive but said they will self-isolate for 10 days.

 

"The Premier League... can today confirm that between Monday 28 December and Thursday 31 December, 1,311 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, there were 28 new positive tests," the league said in a statement.

"Between Friday 1 January and Sunday 3 January, 984 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19 and of these, there were 12 new positives."

Last week, Fulham's games at Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur were called off due to a COVID-19 outbreak at the west London club, while Manchester City's match at Everton was cancelled due to fresh COVID-19 cases reported at the Etihad club.

The United Kingdom has recorded more than 2.7 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and more than 75,000 deaths, as per a Reuters tally.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a new national COVID-19 lockdown on Monday due to surging infections in the country caused by a new variant of the virus, but the Premier League will be allowed to continue.

Cuadrado second Juve player to test positive for COVID-19

Juventus confirmed on Tuesday that Juan Cuadrado has tested positive for COVID-19, the second player from the Serie A champions to test positive this week.

Brazilian defender Alex Sandro is already in isolation after testing positive on Monday, with Cuadrado confirmed as having contracted COVID-19 after the latest round of testing.

"Juventus Football Club announces that, during the checks provided for by the protocol in force, Juan Cuadrado has emerged positive with Covid-19. The player has already been placed in solitary confinement and is asymptomatic."

Juve travel to AC Milan on Wednesday, when Andrea Pirlo's side will aim to reduce the 10-point gap to the league leaders.

Barcelona first team all test negative, in wake of two staff positives

Barcelona's first team players have all tested negative for COVID-19 following a new round of tests after two cases among staff members were announced the day before, the club said on Tuesday.

The staff members' infections led the team to reschedule their morning training session and news conference ahead of Wednesday's La Liga trip to Athletic Bilbao.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2021 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT

Tokyo Olympics

. Tokyo Olympics
. India's tour of England