Rediff.com« Back to articlePrint this article

PIX: Thousands bid farewell to Rossi in Vicenza

Last updated on: December 13, 2020 13:45 IST

IMAGE: Marco Tardelli, Antonio Cabrini, Giancarlo Antognoni, Alessandro Altobelli, Franco Causio, Fulvio Collovati and Giuseppe Bergomi carry the coffin of Paolo Rossi outside the Vicenza Cathedral, on Saturday. Photographs: Daniele Mascolo/Reuters

Thousands of mourners gathered in the Italian city of Vicenza on Saturday for the funeral of former Italy forward Paolo Rossi, whose coffin was carried to the cathedral by his team mates from the 1982 World Cup-winning side.

 

Marco Tardelli, Antonio Cabrini, Giancarlo Antognoni, Alessandro Altobelli, Franco Causio, Fulvio Collovati and Giuseppe Bergomi were among the pallbearers. The event was shown live by state broadcaster Rai.

Rossi, who died on Thursday at the age of 64 after an illness, returned from a two-year ban from football to score six goals, including a hat-trick in an epic 3-2 win over Brazil, as he led Italy to their third world title.

"I have not only lost a team mate, but also a friend and a brother," said Cabrini, who provided the cross for Rossi to score the opening goal against Brazil.

"Together we fought, we won and we sometimes lost, always picking ourselves up even in the face of disappointment. We were part of a group, that group, our group. I didn't think he would leave so soon."



Before the funeral, Rossi's coffin was placed at the Stadio Romeo Menti in Vicenza where supporters could lay flowers and pay their respects.

Rossi was topscorer in Serie B as he led Vicenza to promotion in 1976-77 and was also the leading scorer in Serie A the following season.

"Over the last few days we have received incredible, moving expressions of affection. I hope that Paolo has seen all this affection," said Rossi's wife Federica Cappelletti.

"Paolo belonged to the people, to everyone, and it is right that he should be remembered for his greatness."

Rossi's home burgled during funeral - ANSA

The home of late Italian World Cup-winning forward Paolo Rossi was burgled during his funeral on Saturday, the ANSA news agency reported.

Rossi, who led Italy to their 1982 World Cup title with six goals in the tournament, died aged 64 on Thursday and his funeral took place in Vicenza on Saturday morning.

ANSA said that, when she returned to their house in the Tuscan village of Bucine, his wife Federica Cappelletti found the house had been burgled and valuables stolen, including a watch. It said forensic police were investigating.

Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2021 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.