NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » ISL: Mutu's last-minute strike helps Pune snatch draw against Goa

ISL: Mutu's last-minute strike helps Pune snatch draw against Goa

November 08, 2015 22:38 IST

Adrian Mutu slammed a left-footed volley into the net in the last minute of the game to help hosts FC Pune City secure a thrilling 2-2 draw against FC Goa in an Indian Super League (ISL) clash, in Pune on Sunday.

 Action from the Indian Super League match played between FC Pune City and FC Goa on SundayEugenson Lyngdoh had found the net in the 32nd minute for the hosts but Rafael Coelho Luiz (34) and Jonatan Lucca (44) brought FC Goa back into the game.

Mutu (90+4’) scored the late equaliser to salvage a point for Pune City.

There was only one change in the visitors’ first 11 ever since Zico had an unchanged line-up for the first three matches this season. The injured defender Luciano Sobrosa was replaced by Romeo Fernandes who played as a right wing back.

David Platt has been known for his rotation policy and made four changes from the side that lost 2-0 to Kerala Blasters FC with Gouramangi Moirangthem, Manish Maithani, James Balley and marque player Adrian Mutu all starting.

The Goan defense was kept busy early on. Mutu’s free-kick deflected off the wall after the Romanian was fouled by Lucio and Lyngdoh missed another opportunity with a snapshot from outside the box soon after.

FC Goa had their first chance in the 15th minute when Leo Moura tricked his way on the left but Thongkhosiem Haokip was not able to control the cross inside the box.

Didier Zokora’s through ball for Mutu saw the latter outrun Gregory Arnolin in the 19th minute. Laxmikant Kattimani took the impact of the shot on his body before the danger was averted by his defense.

Minutes later Raju Gaikwad forced a save from PuneCity goalkeeper Steven Simonsen off Moura’s corner while Roger Johnson put his body in the way of Rafael’s attempt on goal. Simonsen had to also be alert to deflect Rafael’s back heel on goal and to save Romeo’s shot on goal as Goa started feeling comfortable in the attack.

However, that could not keep the Orange Army quiet for long as Johnson’s header off a Nicholas Shorey corner from the left merely missed the far post in the 30th minute.

Then came the goal two minutes later as Johnson intercepted a pass in the midfield which Zokora carried through all the way into the FC Goa box and squared it to his right for Lyngdoh, who scored in the return tie, to tap in.

FC Pune City looked to have relaxed on their lead far too early as Moura picked Rafael who strolled past a few orange shirts before smashing the ball at the back of Simonsen’s nets to score the 34th minute equaliser.

Rafael’s mazy sprints kept the home team’s backline on their heels, but he unselfishly chose to pass the ball to Lucca in the 40thminute and the latter forced a save from Simonsen from outside the box.

Lucca then went on to give FC Goa the lead in the 44th minute.

Five minutes into the second half, Haokip was unlucky not to score as his attempt was blocked en route goal by Johnson after the Manipuri was fed by Moura at the edge of the box.

As the battle intensified in the midfield, Zico was forced to make his first change in the 60th minute bringing in former PuneCity striker Dudu Omagbemi to replace the injured Rafael.

The Goan shot stopper showed a good piece of reflex action as he kept out Arnolin’s deflection to Shorey’s flag kick in the 82ndminute. Kattimani once again held on to his nerves to get hold of a header by Tuncay Sanli, who had just replaced Zokora, off Bikash Jairu’s cross.

In an attempt to seal the win, Moura received a pass from Dudu and tried to chip the ball over Simonsen who was a few yards off his line. However, the shot had a bit too much on it

as it sailed over the bat in the 88th minute. A minute later, Romeo blasted a shot across the face of the goal, being found by Moura.

Kattimani produced two back-to-back incredible saves to deny Sanli and Manish Maithani in the dying minutes but that all changed when Mutu buried his left footed volley at the back of the net in literally the last minute of the five minutes of added time.

Image: Action from the Indian Super League match played between FC Pune City and FC Goa on Sunday

Photograph: ISL/Twitter