» Sports » ISL: Goa firm up playoff hopes as BFC bid goodbye

ISL: Goa firm up playoff hopes as BFC bid goodbye

Source: PTI   -  Edited By: Laxmi Negi
Last updated on: February 21, 2021 22:48 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

FC Goa beat BFC 2-1 in ISL


IMAGE: FC Goa dominated the closing stages of the contest. Photograph: ISL/Twitter

FC Goa put paid to Bengaluru FC's play-off hopes with a 2-1 win in a Hero Indian Super League match, in Margao, on Sunday.

FC Goa took the lead through Igor Angulo (20th minute) and Redeem Tlang (23rd) before Suresh Wangjam (33rd) reduced Bengaluru's deficit.


With the result, FC Goa not only consolidated their spot in the top four but are also now unbeaten in 12 games -- matching their own record between 2014 and 2015 and Mumbai City's 12-game run this season.

BFC started the game brightly but a lapse in concentration from them saw FC Goa break the deadlock.

Glan Martins dispossessed Erik Paartalu just outside the box before finding Angulo. The striker made his way into the box before burying his shot at the far post, leaving BFC keeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu with no chance.

Just minutes later, Tlang doubled FC Goa's tally. After Rahul Bheke failed to clear a cross, Alexander Jesuraj got to the ball and flicked it towards the path of Tlang, who scored his first goal in Goa colours with a well-taken strike.

Just when it looked like FC Goa were in the driving seat, BFC pulled one back soon after the water break.

Entering the box after beating Seriton with a clever first touch, Wangjam curled his shot at the far corner with a delightful finish to notch up his first goal for BFC.

The Blues had another great chance to draw level right at the end of the first half but were denied by the woodwork. Xisco Hernandez whipped in a delicious cross for Cleiton Silva whose header rattled the crossbar.

Just after the change of ends, Angulo missed a fine opportunity to get his brace. He got past the BFC back line on entering the box and attempted to lob the ball over Gurpreet but missed the target.

The Gaurs dominated the closing stages of the contest. They created chances to finish the game but just couldn't get past Gurpreet, who pulled off some stunning saves. 

Kerala hold Chennaiyin to 1-1 draw in southern derby

Kerala Blasters held Chennaiyin FC to a 1-1 draw, spoiling their rivals' chances of finishing the season on a high in the Hero Indian Super League at GMC Stadium, in Bambolim.

Fatkhulo Fatkhulloev gave Chennaiyin the lead in the 10th minute which was cancelled out by Gary Hooper's 29th-minute strike from the spot.

Chennayin finished the season with 20 points from as many games.

Chennaiyin got off to an electrifying start and created numerous chances in the opening minutes of the match. Anirudh Thapa fired a shot in the first minute, forcing Kerala keeper Albino Gomes into an early save.

After nearly creating half-a dozen chances, the Marina Machans were successful in breaking the deadlock.

Bakary Kone's header fell to Edwin Vanspaul, who played it over the left flank to find Fatkhulloev. The forward cut inside before unleashing a powerful strike that beat Gomes.

Chennaiyin almost scored their second but Enes Sipovic saw his header hit the crossbar.

Kerala gained momentum in the second quarter and during this period, they pressed their opponents high, putting them pressure.

After sustaining a good spell in Chennaiyin territory, Kerala earned a penalty when Deepak Tangri was the culprit of handling the ball in the area. Hooper ensured he converted the spot-kick to get his team on level terms.

Hooper nearly put his team ahead before the break. Lalruatthara diverted Jeakson Singh's lobbed pass into the path of Hooper at the edge of the box. However, his chip shot sailed over the crossbar.

The second half saw more balanced play as both the teams had identical possession and passes.

Both the teams matched each other with a much relaxed game plan.

Hooper's cross at the farpost found Jordan Murray whose header was parried away by Kaith.

Chennaiyin were reduced to 10 men after Sipovic got his marching orders.

Prasanth Karuthadathkuni swiveled away from Sipovic. The defender unwittingly stamped Prasanth's foot and the referee deemed that to be bad enough for a second yellow card.

Having numerical advantage, Kerala kept searching for the winner. Jessel Carneiro struck a goal-bound shot from a distance, but Kaith's brilliance denied the ball from entering the goal.

Chennaiyin defended well in the final few minutes of the game to end their season with a draw. 

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI  -  Edited By: Laxmi Negi© Copyright 2021 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Indian Premier League - 2021

Indian Premier League - 2021