Sunil Chhetri is a complete package! He is star a striker who can change a game single-handedly, a captain who leads his team successfully, a leader who commands respect even off the field and role model for both players and fans.
As Chhetri celebrates his 31st birthday today, here is a look at what makes him stand out.
1. The prolific striker is the first Indian footballer to score 50 international goals. He fired his 50th international goal against Guam in the 2018 World Cup qualifying match. However Guam won the match 2-1. Former Indian football team skipper, Baichung Bhutia scored 42 goals.
2. He helped India win the Nehru Cup in 2007, 2009 and 2012. He also played a stellar role in wining the 2011 SAFF Championship.
3. India’s star striker was the costliest buy, at Rs 1.20 crore in the cash rich India Super League (ISL). He was picked by Ranbir Kapoor’s Mumbai City FC. Chhetri will play alongside Frenchman Nicolas Anelka, making it a mouth-watering combination upfront for the Mumbai team
4. India's captain has 87 international caps under his belt.
5. Chhetri has won three 'AIFF Player of the Year Award' in four years. In the process, he overtook legendary I M Vijayan's feat of winning it three times. Chhetri has won the award in 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014 while Vijayan had won it in 1992, 1997 and 2000.
6. Chhetri had a brief stint with American Major League Soccer (MLS) club Kansas City Wizards in 2010 and later joined Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon in 2013.