Rediff.com  » Sports » EPL: Spurs' Son racially targeted by teen Burnley fan

EPL: Spurs' Son racially targeted by teen Burnley fan

Last updated on: December 10, 2019 12:14 IST

Spurs' South Korea forward Son Heung-Min was targeted during Burnley's 5-0 Premier League defeat on Sunday

IMAGE: Spurs' South Korea forward Son Heung-Min was targetted during Burnley's 5-0 Premier League defeat on Sunday. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

A 13-year-old Burnley fan ejected from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday for an alleged racist gesture directed at Spurs' South Korea forward Son Heung-Min is being investigated by police, the Lancashire club said on Monday.

The supporter, who was accompanied by a guardian, was spotted by stewards when he made the alleged gesture during Burnley's 5-0 Premier League defeat. The club said the teenager was under investigation by the Metropolitan Police.

 

Son, named Asia's International Player of the Year last week, scored in the first period when he picked the ball up in his own half and cut through Burnley's midfield and defence with a solo run before slotting it past the goalkeeper.

"Burnley Football Club will be contacting the teenager and his family, with a view to an enforced educational program, run in conjunction with Kick It Out and Burnley FC in the Community," the club said in a statement.

"Burnley Football Club would like to reiterate its zero-tolerance policy towards discrimination of any kind. We will continue to work with the authorities to help eradicate the growing problem of discrimination within football."

On Sunday, two fans from the away end at Brighton & Hove Albion's Amex Stadium were ejected, arrested and later released by Sussex Police for homophobic abuse during the 2-2 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Newcastle offer free half-season tickets to fill St James' Park

Newcastle United are offering a free half-season ticket to season ticket holders as they try to fill St James' Park for the rest of the season, the Premier League club said on Monday.

The ticket covers 10 league games starting with Everton on Dec. 28 and includes Chelsea (Jan. 18), Tottenham Hotspur (May 2) and league leaders Liverpool (May 17).

The stadium capacity exceeds 52,000 but average league attendances have only been around 46,000 this season.

Tickets will be handed out on a first-come first-served basis to existing season ticket holders.

Newcastle were in the relegation zone in October but have moved up to 10th and head coach Steve Bruce said the fans create an atmosphere that has lifted the players' morale.

"The supporters have been nothing short of magnificent since I arrived in the summer and I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to each and every one of them," he said in a statement.

"To have the crowds we have is wonderful, and we can't ever take that for granted, but the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?

"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St. James' Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with."

Newcastle visit Burnley in the league on Saturday.

Get Rediff News delivered into your Inbox.
Source: source
© Copyright 2020 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT