Print this article

EPL PIX: Liverpool rout City to go eight points clear

Last updated on: November 11, 2019 00:34 IST

IMAGE: Sadio Mane, right, celebrates after scoring Liverpool's third goal with teammate Virgil van Dijk. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Liverpool opened up an eight-point lead at the top of the Premier League with an emphatic and hugely impressive 3-1 win over defending champions Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday.


The victory leaves unbeaten Liverpool on 34 points from 12 games, eight ahead of Leicester City and Chelsea, and nine in front of Pep Guardiola's fourth-placed City.

IMAGE: Fabinho scores the first goal for Liverpool. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

Liverpool grabbed a sixth-minute lead with a thundering drive from Brazilian Fabinho, who pounced on a clearance from Ilkay Gundogan and blasted past Claudio Bravo from over 20 metres out.

Yet City felt the stunning effort should have been ruled out -- and a penalty awarded to them -- as prior to the break that led to the goal Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold appeared to handle the ball inside the box but the VAR review went against the visitors.

IMAGE: Mohamed Salah scores the second goal for Liverpool. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

City pushed forward in response and Raheem Sterling missed a close-range header, but Liverpool struck again in the 13th minute when Andy Robertson crossed from the left and Mohamed Salah nodded the bouncing ball past Bravo to make it 2-0.

City's third defeat of the season look assured when Liverpool made it 3-0 six minutes after the interval as Jordan Henderson worked space for a cross on the right flank and Sadio Mane stooped to head home at the back post.

Bernardo Silva pulled a goal back for City in the 78th minute, drilling home a low cross from Angelino and the visitors enjoyed some late pressure but Liverpool held firm.

Manchester Utd rise after lively win over Brighton

Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring Manchester United's third goal with Anthony Martial during Sunday's Premier League match against Brighton & Hove Albion

IMAGE: Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring Manchester United's third goal with Anthony Martial during Sunday's Premier League match against Brighton & Hove Albion, at Old Trafford, Manchester. Photograph: Andrew Yates/Reuters

Manchester United climbed back into the top half of the Premier League table on Sunday, as goals from Andreas Pereira and Marcus Rashford and an own goal from Davy Propper gave the side a 3-1 home win over Brighton and Hove Albion.


United climbed to seventh place on 16 points from 12 games after stretching their unbeaten home run against the Seagulls to 12 matches in all competitions.

Brighton slipped to 11th place on 15 points.

Andreas Pereira scores Manchester United's first goal.

IMAGE: Andreas Pereira scores Manchester United's first goal. Photograph: Andrew Yates/Reuters

Pereira fired United ahead in the 17th minute with a fortuitous goal, as his shot from inside the penalty area took a heavy deflection off Dale Stephens and left Brighton goalkeeper Matthew Ryan stranded.

Propper then bundled the ball into his own net two minutes later as an in-swinging free-kick from Fred caused havoc in Brighton's six-yard box. The goal was awarded after a VAR check.

Lewis Dunk pulled one back for Brighton in the 64th minute with a close-range header, but Rashford restored United's two-goal advantage two minutes later when he blasted a shot from 12 metres in off the underside of the bar.

Wolves beat Villa to move into top eight

Raul Jimenez celebrates scoring Wolverhampton Wanderers's second goal against Aston Villa.

IMAGE: Raul Jimenez celebrates scoring Wolverhampton Wanderers's second goal against Aston Villa. Photograph: Rebecca Naden/Reuters

Wolverhampton Wanderers beat Aston Villa 2-1 in Sunday's Midlands derby with goals from Ruben Neves and Raul Jimenez taking them into the top eight in the Premier League.

It was a difficult afternoon for Villa from the moment they lost goalkeeper Jed Steer to injury after only five minutes.

Wolves dominated and the only surprise was it took them until nearly halftime to go ahead, Neves giving replacement keeper Orjan Nyland no chance with a thumping drive.

Another injury for Villa led to left back Matt Targett being replaced before the interval but the visitors showed plenty of endeavour after the break to stay in the game.

Villa even threatened to equalise on the odd occasions but Wolves effectively sealed the points when Jimenez, guilty of wasting some earlier chances, fired into the corner after good work by the dangerous Adama Traore.

There was some consolation for Villa when Trezeguet halved the deficit in stoppage time but it was too late.

Wolves's first Premier League win over Villa for eight years lifted them to 16 points from 12 games while Villa remain fourth from bottom with 11 points.

© Copyright 2019 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.