» Sports » EPL PIX: City suffer shock defeat, Liverpool five points clear

EPL PIX: City suffer shock defeat, Liverpool five points clear

Last updated on: September 15, 2019 11:09 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

On a frantic day of Premier League action United earned a first victory since the opening weekend by beating Leicester City 3-1, with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur registering emphatic wins

Manchester City

IMAGE: Norwich City's Teemu Pukki celebrates with teammates after scoring their third goal. Photograph: John Sibley/Reuters

Liverpool maintained their 100 per cent start to the Premier League season after coming from behind to beat Newcastle United 3-1 at Anfield, before Manchester City slipped to a shock first defeat of the campaign by newly-promoted Norwich City on Saturday.

Having seen Liverpool come from behind to beat Newcastle — the Reds’ 14th consecutive league victory — thanks to goals from Sadio Mane and Mo Salah in the day’s early kick off, champions City travelled to Norwich five points off the top.

Unbeaten in their last 25 games against newly-promoted sides, City were expected to close the gap back to two points with another victory, but Norwich stunned their illustrious opponents with two goals inside 29 minutes to lead 2-0.

Sergio Aguero edged City back into it just before the break, before a defensive error from Nicolas Otamendi enabled Teemu Pukki to restore Norwich’s two-goal advantage.

Rodri got City back in it late on, but the champions could not find an equaliser as they slipped to a first league defeat since January.

“Congrats to Norwich,” City manager Pep Guardiola said. “It is what it is. We have to learn from this and carry on."

“We created chances but we could not score them today. They are a really good team with good players with quality."

“In football you can’t always avoid mistakes.”

Liverpool maintain perfect start with Newcastle win

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah scores their third goal against Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday.

IMAGE: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah scores their third goal against Newcastle at Anfield on Sunday. Photograph: Action Images via Reuters/Jason Cairnduff

Liverpool came from behind to earn a 3-1 home win over Newcastle United thanks to Sadio Mane's first-half double and a late goal from Mo Salah on Saturday, maintaining their 100% start to the season and winning their 14 consecutive Premier League match.

Anfield was stunned into silence in glorious sunshine on Merseyside as Newcastle's Jetro Willems sent a thunderous strike into the top corner -- the Dutchman's first goal in English football -- to give the visitors a shock seventh-minute lead.


The crowd were getting anxious as league leaders Liverpool were wasteful in possession, but the pressure never relented as Andy Robertson set up Mane, who equalised with a superb curled finish into the top corner in the 28th minute.

Liverpool had won each of their previous four home leagues games in which they conceded first and 12 minutes later they had turned another match on its head as Roberto Firmino's trickery set up Mane to give the hosts the lead at the second attempt.

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and Newcastle United's Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez vie for possession

IMAGE: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and Newcastle United's Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez vie for possession. Photograph: Action Images via Reuters

Mane's second strike meant Liverpool had scored two or more goals in 14 consecutive league games -- equalling the Premier League record set by Manchester City in 2011 -- with Egyptian forward Salah adding the third in the second half.

There was no coming back for Steve Bruce's Newcastle as Juergen Klopp's Liverpool strolled to their fifth straight win this term to move five points clear of second-placed Manchester City, who visit promoted Norwich City later on Saturday.

"We didn't start the game the way we wanted," Liverpool defender Robertson said. "That gave us the wake-up call we needed and afterwards I think we kicked into gear and were too good for them.

Liverpool freshened up their forward line with Belgian Divock Origi coming in for Firmino after the Brazilian had played for his country in Los Angeles in midweek, but it was Newcastle’s attack which struck first.

Christian Atsu lofted a cross-field pass into Willems, who cut onto his weaker right foot before firing an unstoppable effort past Adrian in the home goal.

Liverpool had trailed for only 28 minutes at home in the Premier League last season, but Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka remained untested until Mane intervened, slotting a perfect strike into the net.

Newcastle United's Christian Atsu and with Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold in an aerial battle  

IMAGE: Newcastle United's Christian Atsu and with Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold in an aerial battle. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

With the home fans in full voice, Firmino came off the bench to replace the injured Origi and cleverly threaded the ball through for Mane. Dubravka was unable to make the block, and the Senegalese forward tapped in the loose ball.

After the break, Liverpool were caught on the counter but Newcastle's Emil Krafth blazed over at the back post.

Liverpool regained the initiative but missed a host of chances midway through the half to make it three.

Dubravka could not hold out forever, though, as Salah got in on the act, finishing well after another superb Firmino pass to wrap up a victory that means Liverpool are the fourth team in history to win 14 consecutive English top-flight matches.

"Liverpool are as good as you get," Bruce said. "Pace, creativity and at the top of the pitch they can hurt you.

United go fourth as Rashford penalty beats Leicester

Leicester City's Ayoze Perez in action with Manchester United's Ashley Young

IMAGE: Leicester City's Ayoze Perez in action with Manchester United's Ashley Young. Photograph: Andrew Yates/Reuters

Manchester United moved up to fourth place in the Premier League after a Marcus Rashford penalty gave them a 1-0 win over Leicester City at Old Trafford on Saturday.

United, who were without injured French internationals Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial, were far from convincing but manager Ole Gunnar Solkskjaer was delighted they secured their second win of the campaign to reach eight points from five games.

After Andreas Pereira had forced Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel into action with a powerful free kick, United got ahead in the eighth minute.

Rashford, chasing down a loose ball in the area, went down under a challenge from Leicester's Turkish defender Caglar Soyuncu and referee Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot.

United had missed their two previous penalties this season, including Rashford's failure against Crystal Palace last month, but the England forward made no mistake this time.

Leicester's best effort of the opening half was a dipping drive from Ben Chilwell, which David De Gea tipped over.

United produced very little after the break, apart from a dangerous effort from Dan James from distance, but while Leicester had the better of the ball, Brendan Rodgers' side struggled to find real openings.

Scott McTominay was the stand-out United player while fellow midfielder Dutchman Tahith Chong made another positive impression off the bench in the final 20 minutes.

Rashford went closest to adding to the score with a curling free kick which hit the bar seven minutes from time but Solskjaer was pleased with the resilience his team showed after a run of three league games without a win.

"We hung in there. It was the first time this season where we have had to defend for large periods. We have dominated the other games but today we saw a (United) team that could defend in their own half," said the Norwegian.

"They (Leicester) are a good side who want to get into the top four. To keep a clean sheet is great but let's not get too excited because we know we can play better. We defended as a proper team," he added.

Leicester boss Rodgers felt his side had merited more.

"I thought we deserved something from the game. We didn't start well but we had a great chance to take the lead," he said.

Chelsea's Abraham hits hat-trick in 5-2 win over Wolves

Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham scored a superb hat-trick as they beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 5-2 in their Premier League clash on Saturday, spoiling the home side's celebration of the 130th anniversary of their Molineux Stadium.

Abraham struck in the 34th, 41st and 55th minutes before being credited with an own goal and then limping off.

The game burst into life just past the half-hour mark when Chelsea defender Fikayo Tomori's dipping drive from outside the box wrong-footed Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio and flew into the net to give the visitors the lead.

Abraham struck his first goal three minutes later, making the most of the advantage granted by referee Graham Scott to take a touch and swivel before firing home, and he headed a second before halftime to send his side into the break 3-0 up.

The Chelsea academy product, who has spent spells on loan at Bristol City, Swansea City and Aston Villa, completed his hat-trick 11 minutes into the second half before being replaced by Michy Batshuayi after 77 minutes.

Wolves pulled a goal back in the 69th when Romain Saiss's header went in off Abraham for an own goal and striker Patrick Cutrone bundled home another in the 85th, five minutes before Mason Mount fired home Chelsea's fifth to complete the rout.

With seven goals in five games, the 21-year-old Abraham is now the Premier League's top scorer, one ahead of Manchester City's Sergio Aguero.

"I hope this is my season. I have to keep working hard in every training session, every game. Every game I want to prove myself to the gaffer," he said.

Wolves coach Nune Espirito Santo was deeply disappointed by his side's performance, which featured plenty of slick passing but very little in the way of defensive stability.

“That was a bad, bad performance. We started the game well but the mistakes we made, we cannot go and repeat them. We know they cannot happen again," he said.

"It was defensive errors, the game changed with the goal. We lost concentration. I am dissatisfied. There is no point being angry at them, but I need them to get better."

Chelsea, who host Liverpool next week, are up to sixth on eight points while Wolves, who visit Crystal Palace looking for their first win of the season, are 19th on three points.

Son shines as hot-shot Tottenham thrash Palace

Tottenham Hotspur's Son Heung-min scored his first goals of the campaign as they put their early season struggles behind them with the 4-0 thrashing of fellow London side Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday.

Palace boasted the meanest defence in the top flight before the game, conceding twice in four matches, but Son's brace, an own goal by Patrick van Aanholt and Erik Lamela's strike inside 45 minutes gave Spurs their first win since the opening day.

Serge Aurier was given his first start of the season and repaid his manager Mauricio Pochettino's faith with a stellar performance. He engineered the strike that was eventually credited as a own goal by van Aanholt, laid on an assist and also helped to nullify the threat of Palace's Wilfried Zaha.

"I think he was very happy (to start) and we are very happy too now," Pochettino told a news conference. "I think the performance was great and in the first half he was fantastic, his concentration and focus --he needs to show that every game and be consistent.

"That is the key in our team. Not only him, all the players need to be consistent and understand that to compete, we need to give our best. For sure we have quality enough to beat any team."

Roy Hodgson's side were behind after nine minutes, when Son ran on to a long ball from Toby Alderweireld before shifting it on to his left foot in the area and driving into the bottom corner, leaving goalkeeper Vicente Guaita motionless.

The South Korean then turned provider in the 21st minute, playing the ball to Aurier who was overlapping on the right into the box and struck a low cross, only for it to deflect into the net off Palace defender Van Aanholt.

Aurier returned the favour barely two minutes later. A deep cross by the Ivorian found Son at the far post to volley in the third before Lamela got a fourth just before halftime by firing home Harry Kane's cross from the edge of the six yard box.

Spurs took their foot off the gas in the second half, presumably with one eye on their opening Champions League group game against Olympiakos Piraeus in Greece on Wednesday.

Palace barely registered any dangerous attacks - for all their defensive solidity before this game, they have now not scored in three out of five league matches.

"We are obviously unhappy with our first half performance and we are all, me, the players, the staff, quite prepared to accept responsibility for that," Hodgson said.

"We didn't show the intensity we should... But I don't want to take too much away from Tottenham in that spell because that was a spell where they played very well."

"I'm glad it didn't become more than 4-0," he added.

Djenepo's heroics gives Southampton 1-0 win at Sheffield United

Southampton's Moussa Djenepo celebrates scoring their first goal against Sheffield United

IMAGE: Southampton's Moussa Djenepo celebrates scoring their first goal against Sheffield United. Photograph: Jon Super/Reuters

Southampton beat Sheffield United 1-0 at Bramall Lane to pick up their second victory of the Premier League season after a brilliant individual effort from Moussa Djenepo gave the visitors all three points on Saturday.

In a goalless first half, Southampton striker Che Adams went close with a volley early on which ricocheted off the far post, setting the home side off on a counter where David McGoldrick saw his one-on-one chance saved by goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

United thought they had the lead early in the second half when Oliver McBurnie's side-footed effort from an Oliver Norwood free-kick hit the back of the net, but VAR overturned the decision after John Egan was found to be offside in the build-up.

Djenepo then put the visitors in front with a scintillating solo run through the middle, initially refusing to go down when Norwood tugged at him from behind before side-stepping two defenders to fire a low angled shot past Dean Henderson.

United's problems were compounded when substitute Billy Sharp was sent off for a red card challenge when he caught Stuart Armstrong on the shin.

The result moved Ralph Hasenhuettl's side up to 10th while United dropped to 13th. Southampton next host Bournemouth on Friday while United travel to Everton next weekend.

Hendrick late leveller gives Burnley point at Brighton

Burnley's Jeff Hendrick celebrates scoring with Matej Vydra and team mates after scoring their first goal

IMAGE: Burnley's Jeff Hendrick celebrates scoring with Matej Vydra and team mates after scoring their first goal. Photograph: Toby Melville

Burnley substitute Jeff Hendrick grabbed a 90th minute equaliser as the visitors held Brighton & Hove Albion to a 1-1 draw at the Amex Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday.

French forward Neal Maupay had put Albion ahead in the 51st minute with his second goal of the season, volleying home a cross from Solly March.

The opener came after March and Brighton striker Glenn Murray had forced good saves out of Burnley keeper Nick Pope late in the first half.

Davy Propper and Murray both failed to take chances to double the lead for the Seagulls and Brighton were left to regret those missed opportunities.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche threw on strikers Matej Vydra and Jay Rodriguez in search of a point and the move paid off when Czech Vydra slipped the ball to Hendrick on the edge of the area and the Ireland international drilled the ball home.

Both teams have five points each, with one win and two draws from their opening five matches, but there was no question about who was the happier with the draw.

"In the second half we were miles off, but the belief and resilience was there," said Dyche.

"We’ve got a strong jaw and I was so pleased for Jeff because he’s trained well and he’s been knocking on the door."

Brighton manager Graham Potter was disappointed not to have taken all three points from a match in which Hendrick's goal was Burnley's only effort on target.

"We would have liked the three points and apart from the first 20 minutes we were the team that was most likely to win," he said.

"We put such a lot into the game so (it was) disappointing to only get one point but the overall performance was promising," he added.

"It's a sore one to concede so late. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up to the opposition. We had our own opportunities as well."

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
© Copyright 2021 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

New Zealand Tour of India, 2021