Print this article

Azlan Shah: India hold Australia 1-1

Last updated on: May 08, 2011 20:58 IST

A resolute India, riding on Adrian D'Souza's brilliant goalkeeping, rallied to hold World and Olympic champions Australia to a 1-1 draw in their Sultan Azlan Shah Cup match, in Ipoh, Malaysia, on Sunday.

India's defence showed frayed nerves throughout the encounter, but the defending champions managed to snatch a point.

Jacob Whetton (14th minute) and Rupinder Pal Singh (22nd minute) were the scorers in the exciting match.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Clarke struck twice as Britain defeated Pakistan 3-2 to put their campaign back on track while South Korea and New Zealand played out a 2-2 draw.

Clarke's twin strikes gave Britain the much-needed win after the 1-3 loss to India on Friday.

Pakistan and Britain now have two wins each from three matches and lead the standings in the round-robin league.

In another match, joint defending champions South Korea were held to a 1-1 draw by New Zealand.

Benjamin Collier scored for New Zealand in the 50th minute and South Korea struck back eight minutes later through a penalty-corner by Jang Jong-Hyun.

The Indian defence allowed Australia to dominate the game, conceding two soft penalty-corners, and repeatedly gave away the ball away, but D'Souza saved the day with an outstanding game.

The 1-1 scoreline, coming in the first encounter with Australia after the 8-0 drubbing in the final of the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi seven months ago, will give the Indians much satisfaction.

Like India, the Australian line-up was also without half a dozen players from the senior squad, but the Aussies set the pace in the game and maintained complete domination in the initial 15 minutes of play, when India just managed to make one foray into rival territory.

India's fumbling defence created pressure on themselves, but still hung on grimly to keep the score level.

A weak clearance by Rupinder Pal Singh saw the Indian goal come under pressure in the third minute, but he managed to recover ground to deflect out Glenn Turner's feeble shot.

Three minutes later, D'Souza padded a Jason Wilson shot past the jittery defence.

Australia forced their first penalty-corner in the ninth minute, but fumbled with the set-piece attempt.

The Indian goal again came under pressure in the 13th minute following deep defender Dhananjay Mahadik's mis-pass, but Australian striker Turner failed to capitalise on a clear opening.

The sustained pressure earned Australia the lead in the 14th minute when Jacob Whetton sent a firm drive into the boards, moving across from the right wing.

India had their first look at the rival goal in the 19th minute, when Shivendra Singh found himself in a one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper, but his feeble shot was easily cleared.

India equalised with their maiden penalty-corner in the 22nd minute, which was awarded for Jonathan Charlesworth's foul on Ravipal Singh, stopping him form breaking into the scoring zone.

Rupinder Pal Singh continued his fine show, following up his hat-trick against Britain, with a fine grounded drag-flick that beat the goalkeeper.

Not able to make good clearances, the Indian defenders conceded two penalty-corners in the space of four minutes, but D'Souza defended stoutly, padding away the balls, once anticipating the set-piece, and thwarting the pass back to the striker who came in from the goalline.

India had another opening in the 31st minute, but Shivendra failed to capitalise on Rishan Minz's cross from right.

In the second session, the Indians broke through a few times, and even saw Gurvinder Singh Chandi failing to hit a sitter in the 60th minute as the ball drifted across the goalmouth.

Australia forced two more penalty-corners in the second session, the last one in the 65th minute when Rupinder was sent off for a foul, but they failed to get past goalkeeper D'Souza.

India's poor trapping and clearance continued in the second half. Captain Arjun Halappa, playing deep inside India's own half, fumbled in receiving a pass when standing along on top of the circle to concede a penalty-corner in the 39th minute.

Halappa was shown the green card in the 42nd minute when pointing something out to the umpire.

It was not just the Indians' defence that was fumbling. The two umpires were often signaling fouls in different directions at the same time. The umpiring drew criticism from both coaches.

Australia got a clear look at the Indian goal in the 50th minute when Turner picked up a misdirected pass between Indian defenders and squared the ball to Jason Wilson, who shot wide with only the goalkeeper in front.

India played the last five minutes with 10 men, and packed the scoring zone to deny space to the Australian strikers.

© Copyright 2020 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.