NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Alves double lifts Chennaiyin FC to ISL title

Alves double lifts Chennaiyin FC to ISL title

March 18, 2018 00:46 IST

IMAGE: Chennaiyin FC players celebrate winning the ISL title. Photograph: PTI

Chennaiyin FC lifted their game to a level befitting the occasion and sent fancied Bengaluru FC crushing to a painful 2-3 defeat, clinching the Indian Super League title in style, in Bangalore, on Saturday.

Chennaiyin FC's Mailson Alves turned out to be the star in the big final as he scored a brace.

Mailson first scored in the 17th minute, which cancelled Sunil Chhetri's ninth minute opener for the hosts, and then propelled his side to a remarkable lead with another leaping header in the 45th minute.

Raphael Augusto, also a Brazilian, added to the home team's agony with his 67th minute strike, leaving the raucous home fans stunned at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium, which was packed to the rafters.


Miku scored for Bengaluru in injury time but that proved to be too little, too late.

Interestingly, four out of the five goals came through headers.

This was Chennaiyin FC's second ISL title, tying them with ATK as the most successful team in the tournament.

In their quest to find the equaliser, Bengaluru FC often left gap in the back line, and Chennaiyin took full advantage of that to close out the game.

Entering the final after an unbeaten run of 10 games, Bengaluru FC started it in the earnest and effected the first breakthrough.

Chhetri's opening goal gave Bengaluru FC the advantage they needed early on in the summit showdown. The Indian striker headed in after the impressive Udanta Singh, with a great burst of pace down the wings, provided the assist.

Bengaluru, who played in the 3-4-3 formation, were dominant in the first 10 minutes.

The home team's joy, though, was short lived as Alves jumped high to meet Gregory Nelson's corner and headed in the equaliser.

Bengaluru had their second chance to score, but it turned out to be a pretty bad miss inside the box from Dimos Delgado in 30th minute, after he received Inigo Calderon's header.

In the 43rd minute, Miku took a shot from the edge of the box, but the ball sailed over the cross, leaving Karanjit Singh in great relief.

As the half time approached, Mailson found himself at the right place as the centre half rose as high as possible to head in one more time off a set piece past a hapless Gurpreet Singh Sandhu.

Bengaluru FC tried to create openings in the second half but it was the visiting side that tasted success, with Augusto finding the back of the net.

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.