NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » MHA likely to order probe on 'Hizb' militant's arrest

MHA likely to order probe on 'Hizb' militant's arrest

March 24, 2013 13:37 IST

Taking note of the conflicting versions of the Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police, the Ministry of Home Affairs is likely to order a probe on circumstances leading to the arrest of suspected Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Liyaqat Ali Shah.

The Ministry of Home Ministry has taken note of the version presented by the Jammu and Kashmir government vis-a-vis Liyaqat Ali Shah and it is looking into the facts presented by both the Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police.

"A decision on whether an inquiry is warranted will be taken after scrutiny of both the versions," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told PTI.

The Special Cell of the Delhi Police has claimed that it had foiled a 'fidayeen (suicide) strike' in the capital with the arrest of Shah, who, they claimed, was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist who planned attacks to avenge Afzal Guru's hanging.

However, the Jammu and Kashmir Police has supported the claims of Shah's family that he was a former militant who had surrendered before SSB at the Sanauli check-post on the Nepal border and was part of a group returning from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir as part of the rehabilitation policy of the Jammu and Kashmir government.

As an important confidence building measure, the state government had entered into an understanding with the home ministry that any youth who had joined militant ranks in 1990s and wishing to return via Nepal would be allowed to do so provided he surrenders before the army or police in the Valley.

This way, about 150 former militants have returned to Jammu and Kashmir from PoK after taking the Nepal route in 2011 and around 115 in 2012.

Sources said Shah's name was number 74 on the police register in Kupwara and his family had applied on February 5, 2011 for his return for rehabilitation. After completing formalities, the local police had forwarded the application to the criminal investigation branch of the Kashmir Police and other departments.

Police was also informed by his family members about his return soon after he left for Kashmir along with his wife and step-daughter last Sunday, they said.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had Saturday asked Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to hand over Shah's case to National Investigation Agency for a "time-bound speedy probe".

Shah's wife Akthara has said they sold off a piece of land in PoK for Rs 2 lakh which was used for arranging their passports, air tickets and other travel expenses. She also said they wanted to come to India for the welfare and future of their daughter who is deaf and dumb.

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.